Skip to main content
English French German Italian Spanish

All Forum Posts

Polychromatic blue paint code X match

Forums

Hello to all who need the X match for Polychromatic Blue. The Paint is a Lotus colour, Pacific Blue Metallic. In '2 Pack' (that's lacquer over base), the ICI Paint code is p4217750 or Lotus paint code A68 or Lotus Part Number A089B6196V. This has been matched by my Norton Manxman colour with original factory part a front mudguard from a Norton Navigator - unused in its paper wrapper at Donington Park. To the guy I helped with a grub screw for his ignition switch, you're out there - so say 'Hello Anna'.

Anna J Dixon

Atlas, 650 Manxman, 88SS & 99SS Engine Numbers

Forums

The first Atlas had engine number 100795 20 and was delivered, for evaluation, to Berliner of New York in December 1961.This was a Mark 1 Modelwith very similar styling to the Export 650 Manxman. i.e. Smaller rounded fuel tank, AMC style silencers and high handlebars.

The carb was a 376 with 11/16" choke size. On later Mark 1export models this was changed for the bigger 389 11/8" size.

It is reported that one of the first consignments of Atlas were damaged during shipping and replacement fuel tanks and rear mudguardshad to be ordered from Nortons.

Balance Factor

Forums

Does anyone knows what the balance factor of singles was when the

engines left the factory?

I have a1956Mod. 19 with a modified big end and the actual balance factor is 43%

I am going to re-balance the crank but I don?t want to drill too much so I can?t go back to

a original big end when that time comes

Regards

GÃ?ran Svensson

camshaft identification

Forums

I'm trying to identify a camshaft that came out of my 1974 - 850, serial number 312723.

The bike was purchased well used so no history available.

The cam has a T stampedin the side ofthe last lobe.

Also it's not very pretty under 4x magnification, has small dings and a ruddy look. shoulders slightly rounded,it is, however, smooth... cant decide on whether to replace it or not.

thanks

Alexandra Palace Show

Hi All

Is the Ally Pally show worth a visit this year?Sincethe MCNshowmoved to Excel 2 years ago I have heard bad reports. I was disappointedwith theexcel show;too expensive, too up market andnothing for classic bikes, Iwon'tbe going there again . I used to go to Ally Pally every year. All the majormanufactuers had stands thereand loads of stalls selling everything; nuts and bolts, tyres, clothing etcbut isit worththe trip and the entry fee this year?

Peter Evens

isolastics

Forums

Hello,

i've gone to website technical area. I dont see a section for isolastic. I have the older style iso's and dont know if i should change to the MK3 vernier adjustable type. I have two drive units on the bench so the upgrade is easy at this point, if warranted. i'd like to read some technical on it (pro's and con's). Is it here somewhere that i've missed?

Electra wiring update

Forums

I have a 1964 Electra and would like to update the wiring. At present everything works except the charging. A previous owner installed an electronic voltage control I am not sure what brand or type. Can the alternator be wiired as a three phase unit? Is the Wico X12250 box in the tool box a starter relay? Should it clickwhen as the ignition is turned on? Because the wiring is not standard and colors do not match diagram I am thinking of stripping it all out and starting over with a new loom. Can a later higher output alternator be used if so which one will fit.

Wheel bearings

Forums

The standard Commando wheel bearings are all unsealed, lubricated by grease which is held in (maybe) by felt seals. My bike is drum braked, so that is what I am considering here. However, I would expect that disc braked bikes will run cooler hubs.

The single row ball bearing, 17x40x12, can be obtained in a sealed version, lubricated for life. One such bearing is SKF 6203-2RSH.

Fire Flake Silver

Forums

Hi All

Can anyone recommend a painting company who they know for definite can paint a tank and tailpiece in Norton fire flake metallic silver? The last timeI had my bike painted they made a right mess, using the wrong grade metal flakes and refused to do anything about it, and if I did not pay I would not get my all painted items back?

Regards Wayne

'38 Inter. 490cc

Forums

Hi.

Having just aquired the above model, I would welcome any help in the following :

1/ What's involved in the removal of the engine? Who could you recommend I entrustmy engine for are-build ?

2/ I am after a tool box, the type with a 'suitcase' catch which looks to be triangular, and situated on the off-side. Does anyone have one for sale?

3/ I am alsolooking for an exide type battery, cased in rubber.

4/ Could also do with a carburettor, I think this maybe a TT Amal, am I right, or which is the correct model.

Any help would be appreciated.

High temp cylinder paint

Forums

Can anybody recommend a good high temp paint for painting the cylinders on my 750. I have heard that many so called 'high temp'gloss paints are not high temp enough and bubble.

What was the factory finish - were the barrels stove enamelled?

Also originally, was it a gloss or satin finish?

Many thanks again

Jamie

Wessex Sidecar to Slimline

Forums

Hi,

Has anybody got any photos, drawings, info or even better the mounts themselvesto fit a 1959ish Wessex adult/ child sidecar to a Norton slimline frame ?

I have the struts to connect the sidecar body to the frame but don't know where to mount onto the frame.

I know it's possible, as have seen photos in the past but nothing shows clearly where and how the sidecar mounts attach on a featherbed.

Any help greatfully recieved

Jon Sharrocks

Navigator timing

Forums

looking through the navigator and light twins book,for the navigatorit gives 24 degrees for timing, while the others are higher, it also gives the exhaust gap as 0.066, both of which look rather like a misprint to me, so im guessing the exhaust is 6 thou, whats the timing in degrees btdc? 32? or is it the seemingly odd 24?

1948 ES2

Forums

Has anyone got any photo's of a 1948 ES2 plunger, I am restoring one at the moment, I would especially like a photo of the battery carrier, as most photo's show the right hand side of the bike. I also have a lot of photo's of a 1954 Big 4, which was my previous project if they are help toanyone.

Regards,

Ian.

1962 ES2 - speed/power?

Forums

Dear Members,

I have recently bought a 1962 ES2 and it seems a bit down on power !

Whilst I know this machine was never considered a roadburner , my example, will manage only an indicated 65mph ( with fairly upright touring bars fitted), so probably about 60mph in truth.

60-65mph suggests that the motor may be making around 11-12hp ( not the nominal 22hp that it should).

Dominator sludge trap plug

Forums

Hello,

My Dominator 88's engine had water in the crankcases when I dismantled it, so everything is needing done. There's a tide line of rust on the crankshaft which is cleaning off quite well, however the sludge trap wouldn't budge despite months of soaking in penetrating fluid. I have resorted to drilling it out, but need to clean the thread with the correct tap. Can anyone tell me the correct thread size? Any help gratefully received.

Thanks

James

Keith Heckles

I was very sad to read thenewsthat Keith had passed away, I met him at the Classic NEC. He was a very nice man and a genuine Norton enthusiast just like me. It's very sad knowing I'll never get to shake his hand again. Anna J Dixon

Dominator Yokes

Forums

The 1960 basket case DomiI have has 7" yokes, but it has fork sliders from 7 3/8 wide fork, I was going to have thammachined on the bottom and turn them in to 7" sliders by removing 3/16 of the inside of each leg.

But I now have a set of mudguards the front one being from a 7 3/8 wide fork.

So to save time and cost (I am poor now because of the mudguards)my plan is to fit 7 3/8 yokes whan I can get some.WILL THIS WORK ????

Many Thanks Ian

de luxe navigator rear carrier?

Forums

looking at the top of the metal dustbin which is the rear of my navigator deluxe, there are four blanked off holes in a position that may be associated with a rear carrier of some description being attached, was there one available? looking at it im tempted to make up a carrier with four studs, but theres no point reinventing the wheel if there was one already in existence? so were these four holes for a carrier or something else?

Amal Concentric Mk2 on a Commando

Forums

Hi all - I have Commando Mk2A converted to 920cc - it has been fitted with a single 36mm Amal Mk2 Concentric for a long time and has always been a good cold-starter but a pig to start when warm or hot - the only way to get it to start shortly after a run is to fiddle with the cold-start lever - once started I can back-off the cold start device and the engine then runs fine (idling and general running). It has also always run very rich. Perceived wisdom is that the carb is too big and that a 34mm version would be better.

Commando Panniers

Forums

I read somewhere recently, and now I cant find it for the life of me, about someone wishing to fit panniers to a Commando.

The querie was regarding clearance of exhuast pipes, and the answer was to fit Interpol silencer brackets as they lower the silencers. This is all very well untill you need to remove the rear wheel, because the spindle lines up perfectly with the silencer, and therefore necessitates removing the silencers. I have both Interstate and Interpol bikes and must say that on the Plod its a pain in the butt !

Dommi shocks

Forums

Hi FolksWhich are the best shocks to fit a Norton Dominator?I have fitted a Commando engine to it and I ride quite hard the budgetauto jumble shocks are notup to the job any more.CheersKierranForest of Dean UK

Norton Owners Club Website by 2Toucans