Skip to main content
English French German Italian Spanish

Fork spring modification SS500

Forums

I am looking to do away with my front fork rubber gators and fit exterior springs around the fork legs. does any body have the process for stripping the front forks to allow these springs to be fitted.....thanks..Russ

Previously wrote:

I am looking to do away with my front fork rubber gators and fit exterior springs around the fork legs. does any body have the process for stripping the front forks to allow these springs to be fitted.....thanks.. Russ?

well hello Russ The 500ss did not have rubber gators as standard , But they had fork shrouds made from steel tin plate and chrome screw in fork bush cover that screw into the fork legs and hold the fork bush's in place ,the springs are in side the fork leg and a bolt at the bottom of the leg, and it screw in at the top nuts on top of the fork yokes . stripping down the forks starts at the top with the center nut . removal and then two top nut , undo the pinch bolts on the bottom yokes, and remove the nuts .and undo the drain plug to drain the oil ,at this point it would be good to have a tub or container to put you nuts and bolts in so you do not lose them ? then you slide out the bottom legs and stantion's but I hope you have remove the front wheel first and the mudguard ,? once the fork leg with stantion's are out you next undo the bottom nut under the fork leg , then the oil seal cover ? the stantion pulls out with the oil seal and bronze bush . A hide mallet may be needed to tap the fork leg bottom . you may need to rap the stantion with a cloth and place in a vice to hold the stantion firm ? yours anna j Good luck

Previously wrote:

Previously wrote:

I am looking to do away with my front fork rubber gators and fit exterior springs around the fork legs. does any body have the process for stripping the front forks to allow these springs to be fitted.....thanks.. Russ?

well hello Russ The 500ss did not have rubber gators as standard , But they had fork shrouds made from steel tin plate and chrome screw in fork bush cover that screw into the fork legs and hold the fork bush's in place ,the springs are in side the fork leg and a bolt at the bottom of the leg, and it screw in at the top nuts on top of the fork yokes . stripping down the forks starts at the top with the center nut . removal and then two top nut , undo the pinch bolts on the bottom yokes, and remove the nuts .and undo the drain plug to drain the oil ,at this point it would be good to have a tub or container to put you nuts and bolts in so you do not lose them ? then you slide out the bottom legs and stantion's but I hope you have remove the front wheel first and the mudguard ,? once the fork leg with stantion's are out you next undo the bottom nut under the fork leg , then the oil seal cover ? the stantion pulls out with the oil seal and bronze bush . A hide mallet may be needed to tap the fork leg bottom . you may need to rap the stantion with a cloth and place in a vice to hold the stantion firm ? yours anna j Good luck

Excellentinfo from Anna, here is my translation of her directions:

Well hello Russ, The 500SS did not have rubber gators as standard ,but they had fork shrouds made from steel tube with achrome screw in fork bush cover that screws into the fork legs and holds the fork bush's in place. The springs are inside the fork leg and have a bolt at the bottom of the leg, and it screws in at the top nuts on top of the fork yokes . Stripping down the forks starts at the top with the removal of the center nut , then two top nuts. Undo the pinch bolts on the bottom yokes, and remove the nuts. Then undo the drain plug to drain the oil (at this point it would be good to have a tub or container to put you nuts and bolts in so you do not lose them!).Remove the front wheel first, then the mudguard,then you slide out the bottom legs and stanchions(tubes) . Once the fork leg with stanchions (tubes) are out you undo the bottom nut under the fork leg , then the oil seal cover.The stanchion (tube) pulls out with the oil seal and bronze bush . A hide mallet may be needed to tap the fork leg bottom , you may need to rap the stanchion (tube) with a cloth and place in a vice to hold the stanchion (tube) firm .

Previously wrote:

Previously wrote:

Previously wrote:

Excellentinfo from Anna, here is my translation of her directions:

Well hello Russ, The 500SS did not have rubber gators as standard ,but they had fork shrouds made from steel tube with achrome screw in fork bush cover that screws into the fork legs and holds the fork bush's in place. The springs are inside the fork leg and have a bolt at the bottom of the leg, and it screws in at the top nuts on top of the fork yokes . Stripping down the forks starts at the top with the removal of the center nut , then two top nuts. Undo the pinch bolts on the bottom yokes, and remove the nuts. Then undo the drain plug to drain the oil (at this point it would be good to have a tub or container to put you nuts and bolts in so you do not lose them!).Remove the front wheel first, then the mudguard,then you slide out the bottom legs and stanchions(tubes) . Once the fork leg with stanchions (tubes) are out you undo the bottom nut under the fork leg , then the oil seal cover.The stanchion (tube) pulls out with the oil seal and bronze bush . A hide mallet may be needed to tap the fork leg bottom , you may need to rap the stanchion (tube) with a cloth and place in a vice to hold the stanchion (tube) firm .

Thanks to you both......will have a crack at weekend as my springs and headlight support brackets should have arrived by then..Russ

Norton Owners Club Website by 2Toucans