Skip to main content
English French German Italian Spanish

Crank identification - 060732

Forums

I've just acquired an old flywheel and the two cheek plates for a Norton twin, understanding they were for a 750 Atlas?? Commando. The flywheel has the part number 06 0732 cast into it. I've now looked through a Commando parts list and on the Andover Norton web site to try and clarify the models this crank assembly will fit but see the Commando flywheel is part 06 0731. Can any members tell me exactly what I have here please???

hi ray, from what i can gather it sounds like you got a crank from a late 72 commando 750, are you sure there is not an extra number on the end. ie. 06-0732-1. these were generally the last ones to be built going into 1973 when the 850 arrived. That said im pretty sure its from that model. regards sam

Under the system used by Norton, any number that is formed as part of the raw material, whether it is a casting ora forging, is the drawing number of that forging or casting, and ofthe pattern equipment or forging die that made it. It isincluded foridentification purposes by personnel who don't necessarily know what the finished item is going to look like.

The system required a separate drawing for the machining of the item, so it is quite probable that flywheel 06-0731 was made from casting 06-0732. As both drawings have an 06- prefix, it indicates that these were drawn specifically for the Commando series.

Previously wrote:

Under the system used by Norton, any number that is formed as part of the raw material, whether it is a casting ora forging, is the drawing number of that forging or casting, and ofthe pattern equipment or forging die that made it. It isincluded foridentification purposes by personnel who don't necessarily know what the finished item is going to look like.

The system required a separate drawing for the machining of the item, so it is quite probable that flywheel 06-0731 was made from casting 06-0732. As both drawings have an 06- prefix, it indicates that these were drawn specifically for the Commando series.

Many thanks Richard for the clarification, that all makes sense now and ties in with other information I'd been given.

As these parts were supplied unassembled, would you know how I ensure the two cheek plates are bolted up to the flywheel the right way round? Is there some indication on the flywheel which is the drive side and which the timing side?

Many thanks Richard for the clarification, that all makes sense now and ties in with other information I'd been given.

As these parts were supplied unassembled, would you know how I ensure the two cheek plates are bolted up to the flywheel the right way round? Is there some indication on the flywheel which is the drive side and which the timing side?

Norton Owners Club Website by 2Toucans