Skip to main content
English French German Italian Spanish

Tappet locating plate 06.3092: lockwiring the screws

Forums

I'm reassembling my cylinder barrel after cleaning (vapour blasted and repainted in rattle-can silver by the friendly folk at I Cleenz Macheenz: https://www.icmhome.org.uk).

As a precaution, I have new screws from Andover Norton (and lock wire ditto).

Now I'm wondering about the best approach to this job. Given the lack of space to work in, it isn't an easy job.

A test assembly with some gash lock wire results as shown in the attachment.The set-up shown is just the result of picking two screws at random.

The relative angles of the holes in the screws obviously depend on the relative angles between the hole in each screw, the start of the screw's thread, and the start of the thread in the plate it goes into.

Comments very welcome ...

Given that I intend to Loctite the screws also, do I even need to bother with the lock wire? Arguably it just adds two more parts to potentially come loose and create problems in the crankcase.

Attachments img_4190-jpg

And here's what I achieved with random application of the remaining two screws; I've made no attempt to try swapping the screws round to see what difference it makes.

Attachments img_4191-jpg

Thats looks fine and is what I do using stainless Mig wire. A degrease and dab of threadlock for belt AND braces. I suppose you could figure of eight the wire but that would be tough. Its never going to undo as it is but dont overdo the wire twist as it could fracture. Looks good as it is.

Thanks for this reassurance -- definitely not something one wants to get wrong!

Previously K Glassborow wrote:

Thats looks fine and is what I do using stainless Mig wire. A degrease and dab of threadlock for belt AND braces. I suppose you could figure of eight the wire but that would be tough. Its never going to undo as it is but dont overdo the wire twist as it could fracture. Looks good as it is.

Hello Julian,

Where are you based as we using locking wire on race machines all the time and I have a set of lockwire pliers and plenty of stainless wire which you are welcome to use if you are close by.

Unfortunately can't post the pliers as I am continually working on my bikes but happy to drop by if you are local. Norfolk/Suffolk border. Will be at Ardingly in a fortnight.

Ken

Ken,

That's an extremely kind offer; a friend of mine should have some lock wire pliers that I can borrow, but if not perhaps we might meet up at Ardingly -- I'm in SE London, so it's an easy run.

Best wishes,

Julian

Previously kenneth perch wrote:

Hello Julian,

Where are you based as we using locking wire on race machines all the time and I have a set of lockwire pliers and plenty of stainless wire which you are welcome to use if you are close by.

Unfortunately can't post the pliers as I am continually working on my bikes but happy to drop by if you are local. Norfolk/Suffolk border. Will be at Ardingly in a fortnight.

Ken

Will bring Pliers and lock wire with me and will be on the Surrey Branch Stand.

Previously Julian Wells wrote:

Ken,

That's an extremely kind offer; a friend of mine should have some lock wire pliers that I can borrow, but if not perhaps we might meet up at Ardingly -- I'm in SE London, so it's an easy run.

Best wishes,

Julian

Hello Julian,

Ken

Dear Ken

Thanks again for your kind offer; as it turns out my friend has indeed been able to lend me his lock wire pliers, so don't bring yours to Ardingly on my account. But the weather looks decent, so I hope to meet you there.

Julian

Will bring Pliers and lock wire with me and will be on the Surrey Branch Stand.

Previously Julian Wells wrote:

Ken,

Best wishes,

Julian

Hello Julian,

Ken

Norton Owners Club Website by 2Toucans