Skip to main content
English French German Italian Spanish

Suitable screen for my 850 Mk111 Commando.

Forums

Hello again,

I intend doing a bit of European touring this summer, I'm looking for a quality screen that will be suitable for my Commando.

Any suggestions welcome.

Many thanks.

John.

I have a Puig touring screen from M&P £73.59 It's a good piece of kit though It was a lot cheaper when I bought it. Fittings are simple and it's well made and a good size and suits a round headlight. I notice that there is an extension blade on M&P website that would give it an extra couple if inches (always handy) and might keep the noise down a bit, that's another £35 ish.

I also have a Puig CustomII touring screen. You can choose plain or tinted. Mines tinted and goes ok with my silver MkIII Interstate. Bought from Busters Motorcycle accessories - about £66 plus postage. I've done about 4500 miles with the screen, mostly touring and I'm very pleased with it. Touring at 85mph is relaxed. I'm about 5' 11" and have not noticed any problems with wind buffeting, noise etc.

Fitting is by two brackets which mount on the handlebars. I had to juggle things around a little bit as there is not much space with standard bars and fittings but all fitted ok eventually. Only problem is that the screen oscillates/vibrates a lot with just the two mountings and after about 700 miles I notices some fine cracking at the bottom of the screen.

To prevent any further problems i very carefully drilled a hole in the bottom centre of the screen, about an inch up from the bottom, and carefully bent an alloy bracket to affix to this hole at one end and the headlight rim retaining screw at the other end. Problem fully solved, screen firmly in place, no movement and looks fine. Idid a 3000 mile continental trip involving quite a lot of fast long distance work and afterwards and it was ideal.

Regards,

Alan

Norton Owners Club Website by 2Toucans