Skip to main content
English French German Italian Spanish

Re: Norton 99 1959 magneto access

Forums

Is it possible to fit one of those long bolts sometimes seen on pre unit Triumphs to access my magneto bottom stud? If not any suggestions how to ease removal in situ welcome. Barry

Previously Barry Robinson wrote:

Is it possible to fit one of those long bolts sometimes seen on pre unit Triumphs to access my magneto bottom stud? If not any suggestions how to ease removal in situ welcome. Barry

Hi Barry,

Yes it is. I have just fitted one to the 88SS I am currently building. If I recall, I think I bought it from RGM in the UK.

regards

Hi

I have one fitted to my 650ss which I think I got from Molner's. There are others on e-bay but be aware there are a number of designs. I have heard of clearance issuesfor those with a hex-head at the timing cover end (they can foul the crankcase boss). If you get thisissue itcan easily be rectified byturning the headdown.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_sacat=0&_sop=16&_mPrRngCbx=1&_udlo=5&_udhi=10&_nkw=lucas%20magneto%20bolt&rt=nc

Regards,

Graham

Previously graham_reeves wrote:

Hi

I have one fitted to my 650ss which I think I got from Molner's. There are others on e-bay but be aware there are a number of designs. I have heard of clearance issuesfor those with a hex-head at the timing cover end (they can foul the crankcase boss). If you get thisissue itcan easily be rectified byturning the headdown.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_sacat=0&_sop=16&_mPrRngCbx=1&_udlo=5&_udhi=10&_nkw=lucas%20magneto%20bolt&rt=nc

Regards,

Graham

Greetings,

Similar options available here:

5/16" BSCY extended wasted magneto fixing nut, RGM part # DE4

but as indicated there are other sources.

Good luck!

Rgds Steve

The original fitting was very badly thought out. When I removed mine, for the first time, I had to grind down a spanner to gain access, even then, it was a case of one flat at a time. The B.S.A., or similar mod is the answer.

hello for 1959 model 99 magneto's was NOT fitted they were all coilignition in this year the only machinesthat do have be fitted by there owners yours anna j

Previously anna jeannette Dixon wrote:

hello for 1959 model 99 magneto's was NOT fitted they were all coilignition in this year the only machinesthat do have be fitted by there owners yours anna j

Thanks Anna, you are right, my 99 had coil but I'm changing to magneto as part of my rebuild project. Regards Barry.

Previously Barry Robinson wrote:

Thanks Anna, you are right, my 99 had coil but I'm changing to magneto as part of my rebuild project. Regards Barry.

Hello i am restoring a 1963 88ss thought to use BSA type bolt from RGM however my K2F magneto end cap being the competition type with breather tube atachment i could not unscrew it because the bolt fouled the tube so rather than butcher the cap went back to original fixing method a time and patience job that is,the RGMbolt requires quite a bit of fettling to slip under the mag,i realise standard end caps no problem to get them off.

Hello i am restoring a 1963 88ss thought to use BSA type bolt from RGM however my K2F magneto end cap being the competition type with breather tube atachment i could not unscrew it because the bolt fouled the tube so rather than butcher the cap went back to original fixing method a time and patience job that is,the RGMbolt requires quite a bit of fettling to slip under the mag,i realise standard end caps no problem to get them off.

Hello 1963 Model 88ss Had the Lucas K2FC with automatic advance and retard fitted, The earlier models where manual advance and retard yours anna j Dixon

Hello 1963 Model 88ss Had the Lucas K2FC with automatic advance and retard fitted, The earlier models where manual advance and retard yours anna j Dixon

Paul - the bolt should not foul the tube. The tube can be turned independently of the end cover itself so it should be possible to hold the tube in a convenient direction while you undo the cap. Maybe yours is a bit stiff?

For what it's worth - I ground an open ended spanner sides down very narrow and use it one flat at a time. With a clean stainless stud and nut. I seem to remember an issue with the long bolt. I think it needs to be stud rather than bolt (can't remember now...).

Mine is 1963 88SS also - hope yours turns out well!

David

Norton Owners Club Website by 2Toucans