Skip to main content
English French German Italian Spanish

Re: 1956 Dominator 99 restoration

Forums

Hi.

I would like to restore my fathers Dominator 99. It has been in a shed for over 30 years but most parts are there, though perhaps in less than perfect condition.

I am not exactly experienced at bike restoration. I can take apart and rebuild my 95 puch korado, that's about it.

My question is, given my lack of experience, is it unrealistic to attempt this? I'm not in a rush, and am interested to learn.

Pic attached.

Thank you.

--

Pete

Attachments img_20180513_143513_1-jpg

Previously peter_mcevoy wrote:

Hi.

I would like to restore my fathers Dominator 99. It has been in a shed for over 30 years but most parts are there, though perhaps in less than perfect condition.

I am not exactly experienced at bike restoration. I can take apart and rebuild my 95 puch korado, that's about it.

My question is, given my lack of experience, is it unrealistic to attempt this? I'm not in a rush, and am interested to learn.

Pic attached.

Thank you.

--

Pete

Hi Pete, you may have a lot to learn but just by asking the question you are half way there.

I would advise purchasing a parts list and workshop manualfor the bike and a set of Whitworth spanners. Any metric or a/f spanners you have will only damage hexagon heads. There are also plenty of books available covering complete rebuilds, read about it first.

Then start by sorting all the bits and reassemble everything you can, if any major parts are missing it gives you an early start at procurement. i.e. the seat isn't off that model.

Why was it stripped down? did it have a major engine or gearbox malfunction. If so and you don't feel confident there are professional rebuilders.

I will give you a clue though, the pair of rear light/indicators aren't off that bike.You won't be the first or last novice to attempt it and joining the N.O.C. was a good start and always plenty of help available hereon the forum

Regards and best of luck,

Dick

Hi Dick.

Thank you for your reply.

I believe the bike was dismantled to facilitate transport. It was running prior to this (mid 80s).

Will order those spanners tonight, cheers!

I attach a pic of other parts I have.

--

Pete

Previously richard_hudson1 wrote:

Hi.

Pic attached.

Thank you.

--

Pete

Hi Pete, you may have a lot to learn but just by asking the question you are half way there.

I would advise purchasing a parts list and workshop manualfor the bike and a set of Whitworth spanners. Any metric or a/f spanners you have will only damage hexagon heads. There are also plenty of books available covering complete rebuilds, read about it first.

Then start by sorting all the bits and reassemble everything you can, if any major parts are missing it gives you an early start at procurement. i.e. the seat isn't off that model.

Why was it stripped down? did it have a major engine or gearbox malfunction. If so and you don't feel confident there are professional rebuilders.

I will give you a clue though, the pair of rear light/indicators aren't off that bike.You won't be the first or last novice to attempt it and joining the N.O.C. was a good start and always plenty of help available hereon the forum

Dick

Attachments img_20180513_143556-jpg

Vital bed time reading - "Norton Twins Restoration" by Bacon. I'm pretty sure it's available from Andover Norton. It isn't a workshop manual, but has loads of useful information and lots of photos and specification data that the manuals don't necessarily have.

The Haynes Dominator manual is now a facsimile and not a proper print so sometimes it isn't very clear. And if you do get inside the engine, the crankshaft nut torque values are wrong (it says 35 but they should be 25).

But it'll be worth it!

The rear shock absorbers look wrong (Mathless maybe) but you'll need new ones anyway.

Hi Dick.

I believe the bike was dismantled to facilitate transport. It was running prior to this (mid 80s).

--

Pete

Hi.

Pic attached.

Thank you.

--

Pete

Dick

Hello from what I have seen there is 98% of a motorcyclethere this should be an easy one to rebuild, as I rebuilt a lot worse Now running again and I had to make my own mudguards I do know a very good Chromerthat will turn them rusty exhausts intonice shinyones, not many with touch exhausts see Quality Chrome Hull these guys are the best in the county has for you paint work I have a lite of Paint left polychromaticGrey the motor and gearbox will need a stipped and new R&M bearing fitted and shell bearing see the club for shell brearings they heve the originals wiring harness from Alan GaggsNotts, Wheels, Central wheels Brimingham are the best your anna j

Attachments 025-jpg

Previously anna jeannette Dixon wrote:

Hi Dick.

--

Pete

Hi.

Pic attached.

Thank you.

--

Pete

Dick

Hello from what I have seen there is 98% of a motorcyclethere this should be an easy one to rebuild, as I rebuilt a lot worse Now running again and I had to make my own mudguards I do know a very good Chromerthat will turn them rusty exhausts intonice shinyones, not many with touch exhausts see Quality Chrome Hull these guys are the best in the county has for you paint work I have a lite of Paint left polychromaticGrey the motor and gearbox will need a stipped and new R&M bearing fitted and shell bearing see the club for shell brearings they heve the originals wiring harness from Alan GaggsNotts, Wheels, Central wheels Brimingham are the best your anna j

this Norton dominatormodel 88 of 1954 vintage was found in a shed in cardboard boxes bits everywhere, a big jigsaw puzzle and most of the tin wear was missing that took the time of getting the right parts or making them yours anna J

Previously David Cooper wrote:

Vital bed time reading - "Norton Twins Restoration" by Bacon. I'm pretty sure it's available from Andover Norton. It isn't a workshop manual, but has loads of useful information and lots of photos and specification data that the manuals don't necessarily have.

The Haynes Dominator manual is now a facsimile and not a proper print so sometimes it isn't very clear. And if you do get inside the engine, the crankshaft nut torque values are wrong (it says 35 but they should be 25).

But it'll be worth it!

The rear shock absorbers look wrong (Mathless maybe) but you'll need new ones anyway.

Hi David,

The shock absorbers are correct, my February 1957 99 has the same. they are Armstrong and were fitted (supposedly) until they changed at the end of 1956. There was obviously surplus in stock so the continued fitting them into early 1957.

I agree whole heartedly with your bedtime reading and torque correction data.

Regards,

Dick

I think the Armstrong shockers are right too.. Ihadthem on mine. Anna thats a lovelyrideyouhavethere. Areyou missing andunderslugsidelight ordidtheynot all haveone?

Here ismine... withoutthearmstrongs as Ithoughttheywerewrong and soldthem... Doh!!

Attachments dsc04343-jpg

Thanks for the comments everyone. Those are really nice bikes Anna and Jonathan!

My dad says everything is original apart from some part of the exhaust. He gave me the log book today, it hasn't been registered since 1964 - Does anyone know if this means I won't be able to use original reg?

Edit: the lights aren't original as pointed out, not sure what the story is with them, they look reasonably new.

Thank you

Two very good books are: Classic Motorcycle Restoration and Maintenance by Nigel Clarke and Classic Motorcycle Electrics Manual by James Smith. Both very useful with the electrics one being superb.

George

Previously jonathan_newton wrote:

I think the Armstrong shockers are right too.. Ihadthem on mine. Anna thats a lovelyrideyouhavethere. Areyou missing andunderslugsidelight ordidtheynot all haveone?

Here ismine... withoutthearmstrongs as Ithoughttheywerewrong and soldthem... Doh!!

this 1954 dominator was one that me and a friend bob rebuilt many moons ago Bob passed away with heart failure in York Hospital He left his Norton with me for storage for some 2 years until his estatewas sorted out, and now is been sold on, but the 1954domie I have is the same spec all new parts fitted cost an arm and a leg my spend to date is some were around £4950, and a lot of hours doing it but Its runs nice just the tank and chain guard to sort and some wiring to do but we get there and I rebuilt my Manxman as well its now runing nice just a wire or two to fit and the primary chaincase to make oil tight and the foot rest to fit and tank and seat, then its off the post office to get both bikes registered for mot exsemption , but I will go to see Mr Petty at our Local MOT station for him to give the bikes the once over se if I have missed anything, we must have our machnies safe before we get to ride them on the open road and they need gently running in with care, Diamond Chains fitted Made in the USA the Chain man says there really good RGM motors Has them in Stock there not easy to find, I have a spare just in case, PS Armstrong untis were made in Beverley east riding of yorkshire and Gold top Boots and leathers were made In Kingstone upon Hull top Qualtiy Stuff comes from east yorkshire the best chrome's in the UK Quality Chrome Kingstone Upon Hull yours anna j

Hi.

Pic attached.

Thank you.

--

Pete

Hi Peter, if you have decided to go ahead with the project email me on dick@rchudson.co.uk as I have a spares manual plus other stuff I can send you. I don't like putting home address on the site.

Regards

Dick

Peter,

The headlight on the 1956 models were different and have been nick-named the"gas mask", as the instrument panel looked similar to agas mask. It is a Lucas modelMCH58, and seemed to only be fitted to Nortons and Panthers in 1956. The difference is that the instrument panel is detachable, where as in 1957 and later,the instrument panel was part of the headlight pressing.

I have an original MCH58 headlight unit if you need any photos for reference. See the attachment.

Regards, Philip

Attachments img_5295-jpg

Previously Philip Ham wrote:

Peter,

The headlight on the 1956 models were different and have been nick-named the"gas mask", as the instrument panel looked similar to agas mask. It is a Lucas modelMCH58, and seemed to only be fitted to Nortons and Panthers in 1956. The difference is that the instrument panel is detachable, where as in 1957 and later,the instrument panel was part of the headlight pressing.

I have an original MCH58 headlight unit if you need any photos for reference. See the attachment.

Regards, Philip

Hi Philip.

Thank you for your response. I have the proper headlight I think. The speedo is still in it and it has the black knob which I presume toggles light. It does have an empty cavity on the top right side - is that water level?

I will undoubtedly take you up on your generous offer at some point in the future.

Thank you.

Pete

Hi Dick.

Email sent, thank you!

I am absolutely going ahead with it. Have moved the bike into the front room so it wont be out of my mind!

https://imgur.com/a/BM4mvEf

Cheers!

Pete

Hi.

Pic attached.

Thank you.

--

Pete

Hi Peter, if you have decided to go ahead with the project email me on dick@rchudson.co.uk as I have a spares manual plus other stuff I can send you. I don't like putting home address on the site.

Regards

Dick

Peter,

Regards, Philip

Hi Philip.

Thank you for your response. I have the proper headlight I think. The speedo is still in it and it has the black knob which I presume toggles light. It does have an empty cavity on the top right side - is that water level?

I will undoubtedly take you up on your generous offer at some point in the future.

Thank you.

Pete

Pete,

The left side is the lighting switch, the right side is the ammeter and the hole in the centre is for a Lucas emblem i.e. lion hold in lighted torch (I think). The little badges are available in the NOC spares scheme, if my memory serves me right.

Regards, Philip

Peter,

Regards, Philip

Hi Philip.

Thank you.

Pete

Pete,

The left side is the lighting switch, the right side is the ammeter and the hole in the centre is for a Lucas emblem i.e. lion hold in lighted torch (I think). The little badges are available in the NOC spares scheme, if my memory serves me right.

Regards, Philip

Hi Pete. I have just hooked into your posts and we are both in a similar position. I have just started on the restoration trail of the 1956 Dommie 99 that I last owned in 1959. (recently found it on e Bay) I would be most interested in any hints and info that you may come across and I would be particularly interested in the parts list that you were offered.

Good luck with the build, I have asked er indoors if I can bring my bike into the lounge but she wasn't too keen. How did you do that?

Regards, Ron

Attachments prk192-58yrs-on-jpg

Previously michael_sullivan wrote:

Ron:

Those are some pretty serious clop-ons there.

Can your back stand them?

Mike

Hi Mike. Sorry never to have replied, I have only just this minute come accross your post. Your thoughts on the clip ons matched mine to a tee. Being the wrong side of 75 I would suspect that the answer to your question is almost definitely no. A trip to John o Groats is definitely out but I may manage a ring ride or two at thelocal shows. Best regards Ron.

hello well you have a better start then I had with my 54 domie all I got was engine and frame matching numbers a tool tray and oil tank and forks everything else I had to find and I do not have money to throw at it, so I have very slowly rebuilt the bike from the ground up your is easy comparedwith what I had to get, and 54 model 88 parts are thin on the ground, and even ended up making my own rear mudguard which took months to do, as you cannot buy them any more, your mudguards are being made look on eBayes2 mudguards, you see there wideline with the life up tail peace, and I have enough paint to respray your twice over, I resprayed both my Norton, yours anna j

Attachments 056-2-jpg

Hi Peter, Iâm on my second Norton full resteration first being a 500 Model 7 now on display at Beaulieu museum, the one Iâm finishing now is a 1959 model 99. During this time I have had lots of conversations with lots of knowledgable people and sorted through loads of conflicting information. From this I have a good documented database of the Dominator engine and gear boxes. I would be more than willing to assist in any way I can. Where are you based in the UK? Ian

Norton Owners Club Website by 2Toucans