Skip to main content
English French German Italian Spanish

Norton 500T head removal

Forums

Hi All

Have any of you removed a 500t head with the engine still in the bike.

It looks very tight to the top frame tube with only mm's clearance.

Is it possible as really do not want to remove the engine again

I have rebuilt the engine but have a very very annoying oil leak at the rear of the head. I think I need to replace the head gasket with a better quality one.

It only leaks after been ridden and not a lot but still makes a mess.

Any other things that I should be looking for also would be greatly received.

The trick I use on my modded ES2 which has similar issues is to leave the rocker cover on and just remove the 4 sleeve nuts, I use a strip of rubber to undo the ones below the rockers and lift the head a little as I go, once undone you only have to lift the head over the spiggot to get it off, but it does rely on the sleeve nuts being easy to undo once free of tension.

Hope that makes sense ( I remove the exhaust, decompressor cable and carb first ... obs! ;) )

dan

Previously Dan Field wrote:

The trick I use on my modded ES2 which has similar issues is to leave the rocker cover on and just remove the 4 sleeve nuts, I use a strip of rubber to undo the ones below the rockers and lift the head a little as I go, once undone you only have to lift the head over the spiggot to get it off, but it does rely on the sleeve nuts being easy to undo once free of tension.

Hope that makes sense ( I remove the exhaust, decompressor cable and carb first ... obs! ;) )

dan

Yes the head will come off with engine in the frame. When new the 500T did not have a head gasket. Bryon

Norton Owners Club Website by 2Toucans