Skip to main content
English French German Italian Spanish

Norton 16h WD 1943

Forums

Hello all,

I am restoring a Norton 16h WD 1943. I am restoring the bike to civilian trim as that was the how I brought the bike. When I sent the Magneto away for repair it was still attached to the mounting plate as it was completely seized. The Magneto has been repaired and a new mounting plate has been provided. My question is when the Magneto is mounted on the plate the Magneto is in the wrong position. I assume that there was a change and as such their is more than one mounting plate. If i am correct I think I have the later version. The Magneto is a Lucas unit. Has anybody had this problem? I seen online a number of people offering these plates.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Steve Woods 

There are at least three different plates, used on engines up to 1937 (plus all WD16H) - radiused lever followers, the '38/'39 and '46/'47 civilian (plus all WD Big 4) - flat lever followers and the 1948 onwards engines (circular tappets). There were revisions to the depth of the timing chest and the timing gears for all these changes.

For the WD16H, you need the least 'overhang' with a line drawn along the face of the mounting block effectively bisecting the countersink borings for the mounting screws.

Photo below shows (left to right) 1938 pattern and two different WD type castings. The cast iron 'economy' type will also fit WD.

Attachments

Norton Owners Club Website by 2Toucans