Skip to main content
English French German Italian Spanish

Long Roadholder front wheel offset (1957)

Forums

I'm starting to put together a 1957 pre F/bed model 50, properly when I get some engine plates!

I'm well aware of the front wheel offset on short roadholder featherbed models and I assume it will be the same on the 1957 pre F/bed models but had to ask to be certain.

While I'm about it, I'm also assuming the rear wheel is built central to the hub as on the F/beds.

Basically, if the wheels (With full width hubs) are interchangeable with the F'beds then all well and good, if not then I hope someone can put me right.

Thanks , Neil.

(Only my second 50's pre F/bed & building from bits)

The method I use to centre the front wheel rim to the centre line of the frame is by inserting an accurately machined bar through the steering stem tube to act as a reference point. The wheel rim center line needs to be marked on the inside of the rim. With the wheel assembled and fitted to the forks the wheel can be trued, very accurately if you use a dial test indicator and is easier than truing by eye.

Assuming the rim holes are accurately drilled to suit your hubs and the spokes are of the correct length and angle then wheel alignment should be easy to achieve. I can recommend Doug Richardson (01769574108) ad. in Roadholder re wheel rims, spokes, advice and building if you require.

Many thanks Simon,

I bought a stainlessrim for my Commando 20 years ago from Dougand was excellent quality. I'll do the same for this machine and that should solve the problem.

Not having an original wheel to check with and limited pre featherbed experience means it is best to ask. Engine plates anyone, even just to copy?

Norton Owners Club Website by 2Toucans