Skip to main content
English French German Italian Spanish

Classic Norton tank colour for a 1957 Model 99?

Forums

I have a 1957 99 Dominator which I obtained through a barn find. All clues and research would lead me to believe it was painted in the Norton Classic Finish of all black bar the tank. This colour scheme appears to be reflected in the advertisement poster for the 1957 range.

All repair and fabrication is now completed, however, I can not find a clear answer as regards the tank colour for the above finish. I gather the classic finish was an optional extra, however, was the tank painted polychromatic grey or norton silver. Logic would lead me to think it was painted polychromatic grey, however I would appreciate any advice as it is sitting with the tank restorer awaiting my instructions.

Matt

Previously kiernan_kiernan wrote:

I have a 1957 99 Dominator which I obtained through a barn find. All clues and research would lead me to believe it was painted in the Norton Classic Finish of all black bar the tank. This colour scheme appears to be reflected in the advertisement poster for the 1957 range.

All repair and fabrication is now completed, however, I can not find a clear answer as regards the tank colour for the above finish. I gather the classic finish was an optional extra, however, was the tank painted polychromatic grey or norton silver. Logic would lead me to think it was painted polychromatic grey, however I would appreciate any advice as it is sitting with the tank restorer awaiting my instructions.

Matt

well you can paint it any colour you like but in 1957 to 59 they had colour like a nice light blue metallic the Rolls Royce Le-mans blue the nearest colour to it ,as you cannot get the norton colour blue now , and a post office red, or Forrest Green alot of ES2 in the featherbed frame were this colour and then there good old black and sliver, RS paints Polychromatic grey is the wrong colour the one they mixed is the later 1960/2 Norton grey polychromatic is 3 shades darker and has silver /gold in the mix,

yours the paint mixer

By 1957 the tank was (normally?) grey with separate chrome plated side panels on plastic backs.Bacon's 'Norton Twins' lists colour changes through the years.

Previously David Cooper wrote:
By 1957 the tank was (normally?) grey with separate chrome plated side panels on plastic backs.Bacon's 'Norton Twins' lists colour changes through the years.

Roy Bacon books are not accurate and it does not have all the information in about paint work on all nortons as alot Of Norton were for export and in export colour some were sold in this country wearing export colours , like post office red for one,

I thought you'd say that, Anna...It's about time somebody published an addendum then - how about it?I think it's often been pointed out that Norton would build you the bike you wanted - with chrome and paint to suit your taste and pocket. And Americans went for colours that Brits didn't want (or didn't know about).Bacon says the red didn't appear as an option until 1958.There's not much point in publishing a book that simply says 'anything goes'. So he seems to have done the logical thing and described what UK showrooms had on offer.

Here we go: My 1957 Dommi 99's tank needed restoring. I never liked the original side panels and theyare expensive, so I had it professionally painted and properly lined and sign-written just as the earlier bikes were. Silverwith the thicker black and thin red lines, with Norton in black, plus 3 coats of protective laquer against ethanol. It is not correct of course, but looks wonderful. Each to his taste?

I thought you'd say that, Anna... It's about time somebody published an addendum then - how about it? I think it's often been pointed out that Norton would build you the bike you wanted - with chrome and paint to suit your taste and pocket. And Americans went for colours that Brits didn't want (or didn't know about). Bacon says the red didn't appear as an option until 1958. There's not much point in publishing a book that simply says 'anything goes'. So he seems to have done the logical thing and described what UK showrooms had on offer.

well he's contradicting him self if you read there is says the colours of the 1954 Dominator model 88 in red or blue as export or other wise.

so you could by one if you wanted that colour , and I have seen original bikes in red and a blue machine in this country

I thought you'd say that, Anna... It's about time somebody published an addendum then - how about it? I think it's often been pointed out that Norton would build you the bike you wanted - with chrome and paint to suit your taste and pocket. And Americans went for colours that Brits didn't want (or didn't know about). Bacon says the red didn't appear as an option until 1958. There's not much point in publishing a book that simply says 'anything goes'. So he seems to have done the logical thing and described what UK showrooms had on offer.

And you make a good point of these books need updating all together as there are many inaccuracies in the books and the fact he even fails to recognizes the 1950/51 Model 77 500cc ridged frame twin and then there very little said about the 650cc Norton Manxman or the 650 standard or de-luxe models but a lot made of the 650SS and Atlas and Commando but early bikes are not given much of a buy or leave.

its clearly aimed at this side of the motorcycling community and the real interesting machines left out of it. yours anna j

Norton Owners Club Website by 2Toucans