Skip to main content
English French German Italian Spanish

Atlas, 650 Manxman, 88SS & 99SS Engine Numbers

Forums

The first Atlas had engine number 100795 20 and was delivered, for evaluation, to Berliner of New York in December 1961.This was a Mark 1 Modelwith very similar styling to the Export 650 Manxman. i.e. Smaller rounded fuel tank, AMC style silencers and high handlebars.

The carb was a 376 with 11/16" choke size. On later Mark 1export models this was changed for the bigger 389 11/8" size.

It is reported that one of the first consignments of Atlas were damaged during shipping and replacement fuel tanks and rear mudguardshad to be ordered from Nortons.

Unfortunately the factory sentlater style SS tanks by mistake. These were fitted and the bikesconsequently sold as Mark 1 machines but wearing Mark 2 tanks.

To add to the confusion of models, Berliner also decided to sell a number of Matchless G15 CSR bikes as the Norton SS 750. Atlas engine but not an Atlas bike.

The first Export Mark 2 Atlas, to Berliner was 103897. It came with twin carbs, larger Dominator style fuel tank, Dominator exhausts and silencersand an 18" rear wheel.

It was delivered in August 1962.

First 650 was 93601 Factory built 7.11.60. in the form of a standard model using SS type of cylinder head with single Monobloc 389 carb.

Many so called 'informative' sources of data have the first 650 as number 100200.

Not correct.

There is no mention of 650SS models or twin carbs until 100099 was produced in October 1961.

99SS models started at 96496 using old style non SS cylinder head in March 1961.

Two Monobloc 376carbs mounted on a special one piece manifold.

The late John Hudson believed that the last of these were built with the proper SS cylinder head. Can anyone confirm this?

88SS Model sproduced about the same time (96540) used SS heads from the start.

Hi Phil, Question: What was the first Manxman Norton Workshop Number? Did they start at 001, as my workshop number is 288? At Bracebridge Street Works they were building 7 models: the 88&99, ES2, Model50-350cc, the inters, Model40-350cc model30-500cc and 650, and in good week 200 bikes could be built... thats 28 bikes a-day on average in a good week ? Question: What was the number in a bad week ? as you I am trying to calculate to the day when my bike was built - Not the export date as recored in factory records (January 13th) Anna

For what it is worth:

I purchased an unrestored original 1962 Atlas, number 20 101867. It had single carb dual small bore exhausts with blown upflangefor regular size silencers, and a manxman gas tank, but i think it may not be original. bike was black tank had blue painted over.

I have two 650 engines, one for my manxman and another extra. the manxman is number 18-93736. it had dual carbs ("the 'carb and a half" shared floatbowl) i dont have the other engine number off hand but it is quite close and also has the same carburrettors.

hello these bike must been built within the first weeks of November 1960 my one was bult in the dieing days of 1960 18-95069 where in the world are you if like too talk phone my number any time 01430430831 As i get feed up of emails ??

Previously wrote:

The first Atlas had engine number 100795 20 and was delivered, for evaluation, to Berliner of New York in December 1961.This was a Mark 1 Modelwith very similar styling to the Export 650 Manxman. i.e. Smaller rounded fuel tank, AMC style silencers and high handlebars.

The carb was a 376 with 11/16" choke size. On later Mark 1export models this was changed for the bigger 389 11/8" size.

It is reported that one of the first consignments of Atlas were damaged during shipping and replacement fuel tanks and rear mudguardshad to be ordered from Nortons.

Unfortunately the factory sentlater style SS tanks by mistake. These were fitted and the bikesconsequently sold as Mark 1 machines but wearing Mark 2 tanks.

To add to the confusion of models, Berliner also decided to sell a number of Matchless G15 CSR bikes as the Norton SS 750. Atlas engine but not an Atlas bike.

The first Export Mark 2 Atlas, to Berliner was 103897. It came with twin carbs, larger Dominator style fuel tank, Dominator exhausts and silencersand an 18" rear wheel.

It was delivered in August 1962.

First 650 was 93601 Factory built 7.11.60. in the form of a standard model using SS type of cylinder head with single Monobloc 389 carb.

Many so called 'informative' sources of data have the first 650 as number 100200.

Not correct.

There is no mention of 650SS models or twin carbs until 100099 was produced in October 1961.

99SS models started at 96496 using old style non SS cylinder head in March 1961.

Two Monobloc 376carbs mounted on a special one piece manifold.

The late John Hudson believed that the last of these were built with the proper SS cylinder head. Can anyone confirm this?

88SS Model sproduced about the same time (96540) used SS heads from the start.

hello phill we are sill waiting for more number please ?

I have Norton Manxman number 93601 in my possesion and a friend of mine has number 93613, and they both have dual 376 Amals with the sleeves pressed into the intake ports and I am sure that is the way they have always been.

I have seen a number of the early single carb Atlas bikes over here in the States.

Another friend of mine over here in the states was Berliner's "tester" at the time the Manxman and first Atlas models came over, so if anyone has a question I can try to get an answer from him.

All the 1962 Atlases and 650ss bikes I have ever seen over here in the States had the small tank just like the Manxman had, along with the complimentary seat and rear fender...

Previously wrote:

I have Norton Manxman number 93601 in my possesion and a friend of mine has number 93613, and they both have dual 376 Amals with the sleeves pressed into the intake ports and I am sure that is the way they have always been.

I have seen a number of the early single carb Atlas bikes over here in the States.

Another friend of mine over here in the states was Berliner's "tester" at the time the Manxman and first Atlas models came over, so if anyone has a question I can try to get an answer from him.

All the 1962 Atlases and 650ss bikes I have ever seen over here in the States had the small tank just like the Manxman had, along with the complimentary seat and rear fender...

Ben, I'd like discuss the Manxman i have and yours. spttvb@bellsouth.net. I have read your recent posts.Currently i am in Wisconsin, USA

Previously wrote:

Oops typo, my bike is number 93603....

Previously wrote:

Hello Ben the tester that Testedmy bike had was a mr Whittaker do you know of him ? the Engine& frame numbers 95069-18 norton workshop number288 65C with a Single Carbfitted 389 1.1/8 Th .for a sidecar witch was fitted in the USA , I have found the clap marks on the frame and a hole drilled on rigthhand side high up on the gusset plate now the drill hole is welded up the engine as had some damage at some time now all parts have been welded and ground out flat you can not see the weld the engine as on BHB standard Pistons and Now runs like a sewing Machine nice and smooth all the work of and woman Me ? yours Anna J Dixon Ps i would be interseted in the engine&frame numbers of your Manxman for the redgister ??????

Previously wrote:

Hello Ben the tester that Testedmy bike had was a mr Whittaker do you know of him ? the Engine& frame numbers 95069-18 norton workshop number288 65C with a Single Carbfitted 389 1.1/8 Th .for a sidecar witch was fitted in the USA , I have found the clamp marks on the frame and a hole drilled on rigthhand side high up on the gusset plate now the drill hole is welded up the engine as had some damage at some time now all parts have been welded and ground out flat you can not see the weld the engine as on BHB standard Pistons and Now runs like a sewing Machine nice and smooth all the work of and woman Me ? yours Anna J Dixon Ps i would be interseted in the engine&frame numbers of your Manxman for the redgister ??????

Norton Owners Club Website by 2Toucans