Skip to main content
English French German Italian Spanish

Air Filter 1960 Domini

Forums

I have a query about the original design of the air filter for my 1960 Domini 99. When I got the bike the connection between the carb and the air box was missing and the guy I got it off, my daughters partner, could not remember it ever being connected. After looking through numerous parts web sites I'm struggling to find exactly just what should be in the air box. I'm torn between getting an OEM pancake or cone type but neither will fit in the gap between the carb and the air box. Has anyone come across this or have any suggestions?

I would prefer to have some kind of air filter as the idea of general atmospheric detritus being ingested through the carb does not appeal one bit, plus, it will probably help with tuning the carb.

I have one like that in my box of bits. No use with twin carbs. I think I was told by PO that the filter element was a standard Mini one cut in half.

Previously David Cooper wrote:

I have one like that in my box of bits. No use with twin carbs. I think I was told by PO that the filter element was a standard Mini one cut in half.

Hi David, as my Dommi is a single carb model it might be just the job.

Thanks for the reply

John

John.. I'll try to find mine tomorrow (if its wet) and post a photo. It is similar to the one Barry posted. It had an alloy sleeve screwed onto the carb (where a bellmouth might go) and it plugged into that.

John.. I'll try to find mine tomorrow (if its wet) and post a photo. It is similar to the one Barry posted. It had an alloy sleeve screwed onto the carb (where a bellmouth might go) and it plugged into that.

Hi David; Many thanks I'll look forward to seeing the photo

John

The PO was a good mechanical person and it's quite posible that he made it from thin galvanised sheet steel. And made the fancy sstainless steel sleeve bolts.

Hi David, thanks for the photos, I'll have to have a chat with a local tin basher who I think can knock up something similar.

Best regards

John

Just in case it isn't clear... the one I have is a single flat disc with turned down edges. The tube is brazed in. Changing the filter needs it to be sprung apart. If I were making it I'd work out the size in cardboard after first gettin hold of the filter element.

Just in case it isn't clear... the one I have is a single flat disc with turned down edges. The tube is brazed in. Changing the filter needs it to be sprung apart. If I were making it I'd work out the size in cardboard after first gettin hold of the filter element.

Thanks for that David. Just as an aside, the previous owner, (my daughters partner) thinks that there may be one in hismothers garage. There are loads of bits and pieces in there from various bikes including Nortons. if he gets the chance he's going to have a look. As we will be visiting them in the near future, I'm going to take up his offer to have a rummage about in there too, from memory it's an Aladin's Cave of 'stuff'.

Cheers

John

Norton Owners Club Website by 2Toucans