English French German Italian Spanish

650ss Belt drive

Forums

Can anyone advise me on a good belt drive kit

Phil

Previously philip_hodson wrote:

Phil

Bob Oswald of QPD in the USA. Under no circumstances go for an AT10 belt sytem no matter how cheap. Suggest you try to learn about Norton clutches and belts BEFORE spending your money. We were using a QPD system with easy to perate diaphragm spring clutch in the early 80s on our so called classic racing Atlas. £0mm wide HTD belt. Since then the belts have been vastly inproved and a 20mm wide Gates GT3 HTD toothform belt is perfectly adequate for an 820 Commando so on a 650SS.......

Phil

Hello try BOB NEWBY the Best 6 spring clutches are but ring, But there is nothing wrong with original Norton Clutches if there built up right, and lucas clutch oil used , Do not use any ATF Hydlic oils they desove your clutch rubbers beleve me, Yours Anna J

Phil

For what it's worth, I've had a RGM Belt drive kit fitted to my 650SS for about 12 years. I do roughly 3000 Miles/ Year, I've had no problems with it and I'm still on the original belt.

Another vote for Bob Newby, mine is only on an ES2 but a very nice piece of kit and finding neutral is easier than some modern bikes.

Thanks Guys for you advice.

I was thinking of the Norvil kit.

Phil

Phil

For what it's worth, I've had a RGM Belt drive kit fitted to my 650SS for about 12 years. I do roughly 3000 Miles/ Year, I've had no problems with it and I'm still on the original belt.

My good colleague Phil Hannam recently fitted an RGM kit and I understand that his fitting exercise will be a RH magazine feature soon. It is a much improved kit and as far as I hear - it is very good. There are different versions dependant on clutch requirements - AMC SS or Commando and type of alternator. Good luck, Howard

Norton Owners Club Website by 2Toucans