Skip to main content
English French German Italian Spanish

650 SS Wiring Harness

Forums

Afternoon folks.

I have a new wiring harness which I believe to be for a 1964 650 SS which I am restoring.

I have tried to attach a photograph of the harness in order that some body may be able to identify it for me but the Attachments section keeps telling me it is too large.

If somebody who thinks they may be able to identify it could e mail me at mickaddison@outlook.com I would be grateful and I could then send that person a photograph through the normal e mail channels .

Many thanks, Mick

Previously michael_addison wrote:

Afternoon folks.

I have a new wiring harness which I believe to be for a 1964 650 SS which I am restoring.

I have tried to attach a photograph of the harness in order that some body may be able to identify it for me but the Attachments section keeps telling me it is too large.

If somebody who thinks they may be able to identify it could e mail me at mickaddison@outlook.com I would be grateful and I could then send that person a photograph through the normal e mail channels .

Many thanks, Mick

Hiyah Mick - Looks much the same as one on my Mercury. So a 12v twin coil set up as per 66/67 650 SS. The coils would go in between oil tank and batter carrier and the condensors in front of the tool tray. Rectifier under the tool tray and Zenner diode on the petrol tank r/h mounting bolt on an s bracket with twin cooling fins. The twin contact breakers fit in a special assembly with advance /retard unit supported on two bearings. The alternator and horn wiring is standard fare. The switch mounts on fork plate between the two clocks and is the 88SA type . Late Atlas's also used this set up. If you're fitting a magneto instead of the coils system tie back the additional wiring and run an extra wire from the mag to the handlebar kill button. Regards and good luck, Howard

Looking at it again I note that the rear mudguard section is not included nor the brake light section. The single white wire looks like it is for a magneto kill purpose. So the harness probably isn't intended for a "coil" version though obviously if you have the ignition switch located above the oil tank you can add the coil wiring as appropriate. Cheers, Howard

Previously howard_robinson wrote:

Afternoon folks.

Many thanks, Mick

Hiyah Mick - Looks much the same as one on my Mercury. So a 12v twin coil set up as per 66/67 650 SS. The coils would go in between oil tank and batter carrier and the condensors in front of the tool tray. Rectifier under the tool tray and Zenner diode on the petrol tank r/h mounting bolt on an s bracket with twin cooling fins. The twin contact breakers fit in a special assembly with advance /retard unit supported on two bearings. The alternator and horn wiring is standard fare. The switch mounts on fork plate between the two clocks and is the 88SA type . Late Atlas's also used this set up. If you're fitting a magneto instead of the coils system tie back the additional wiring and run an extra wire from the mag to the handlebar kill button. Regards and good luck, Howard

Looking at it again I note that the rear mudguard section is not included nor the brake light section. The single white wire looks like it is for a magneto kill purpose. So the harness probably isn't intended for a "coil" version though obviously if you have the ignition switch located above the oil tank you can add the coil wiring as appropriate. Cheers, Howard

Many thanks to Tony Ripley for downsizing my photographs.

Thanks Howard for your very illustrative account; my bike is a 1964 650 SS with magneto . I will have to dig out the receipt for it and see if I can get it changed.

Cheers Mick

Previously howard_robinson wrote:

Afternoon folks.

Many thanks, Mick

Many thanks to Tony Ripley for downsizing my photographs.

Thanks Howard for your very illustrative account; my bike is a 1964 650 SS with magneto . I will have to dig out the receipt for it and see if I can get it changed.

Cheers Mick

Howard.

For some strange reason your last paragraph did not appear on the section I read. I have now noticed it so it would appear the loom is correct for my bike.

Once again thanks folks.

Mick

hello wrong wiring harness it the later types 1966 onward you need the Sa41 light switch type for Magneto and 3 wire alternatorRM19 has My Norton Manxmanhas fitted this was fittedon 650ss from 1961 to September1965 for 1966 year from then on the sa88 lighting switch was used PS Haynes Norton Manuel has the wiring diagramsin the wrong year order !

yours anna j

well its the 1964 Manxmanexport they did not exist in 1964 the Manxmanis late 1960 /61 only and like the ss of late 61 to 62/63 have the Sa41 lighting switch So Haynes has this printed wrongly, yours anna j

Norton Owners Club Website by 2Toucans