Skip to main content
English French German Italian Spanish

1955 Dominator 99

Forums

I am in the process of renivating a 1955 dominator 99 and I would like to know what colour it should be. The bulk of the bike is a light sandy gold colour, is this polychromatic grey or is there another colour code for that year of bike.

Denis

Previously denis_bourne wrote:

I am in the process of renivating a 1955 dominator 99 and I would like to know what colour it should be. The bulk of the bike is a light sandy gold colour, is this polychromatic grey or is there another colour code for that year of bike.

Denis

Hello No this is the genuin Colour from early Norton twins Early Polychromatic grey had gold in the paint mix has a part of it colour , I have said this many time now and I been told I was wrong many times Now this just proves I was right all a long, and top paint people like RS paints were telling me I was wrong, Now you can tell RS paint there wrong with there paint mix, any way I have the formual for this Mix for early Dominator model 88 and 99 from 1951 to 1956 has the first model 99 where but from September 1955, a Not 1956 has many have been saying , so contact me by email annajeannette@btinternet.com . I can send you a small sample of the right colour so you can then have a right batch made for your Model 99 yours Anna J Dixon

Sorry, Anna was not riding Norton's in the 50's (I was). She has NOT been proved right, that there was gold in the original paint mix, just as she is wrong that cellulose paint was only used for metallic colours. Cellulose paint was widely used, in the car industry, up to the 60's , in a wide range of colours. As suggested on previous occasions, take a look inside the primary chain case, it may still have the original factory finish.

Previously John Shorter wrote:

Sorry, Anna was not riding Norton's in the 50's (I was). She has NOT been proved right, that there was gold in the original paint mix, just as she is wrong that cellulose paint was only used for metallic colours. Cellulose paint was widely used, in the car industry, up to the 60's , in a wide range of colours. As suggested on previous occasions, take a look inside the primary chain case, it may still have the original factory finish.

Hello both and thanks for responding to my query about Norton paint.

As I said the bike is in it's original colour with only the frame in black.

The primary chain case has been removed and is definatly a sandy gold color with no other traces of the bike been respayed,the paint is definatly factory finish. I will go to my local paint supplier with the chain case and put what we call in trade the brick which is a prisam connected to a computer to match the colour.Any other info would be helpful.

Den Bourne

Hello John now did I mention cellulose paint, in the above thread,

and Have I not had my Norton Dominator built in 1954 paint work annalizeds by a top paint maker like Nu-agan paints own make there own paint colours and have been doing so since 1946, to date these guy are based in Bedford , look them up,

yours Anna J

Attachments picture-734-jpg

Ok, very pretty, but seems to have a distinct touch of blue (and where is the front number plate, although no longer required, no 50's bike was sold without one). Take a look at page 18, of the member's bike gallery, you will find '54 Dominator, in the original colour for the year.

Ok, very pretty, but seems to have a distinct touch of blue (and where is the front number plate, although no longer required, no 50's bike was sold without one). Take a look at page 18, of the member's bike gallery, you will find '54 Dominator, in the original colour for the year.

Well john this model 88 from 1954 is a export machnie and is now in New Zeland

the colour was called light polychromatic blue and they did a post office red too, also in black with sliver tank panels . and polychromatic grey with tiny tinge of gold in the mix, its was later on after 1956 its when silver gunmetel grey the Manx silver had a tiny tinge of gold in the mix to give it a holographic look , well it was the 1950s after all, now you cannot get this paint anymore they stop making it well over 40 years ago now we have put up with modern paint that not the same finsh and sparying too much lacqure will only make things worse, has it kills of the light to the metallic particals so then they do not reflect light back out and there is not many Nortons out there wearing the factory paint work anymore yours anna j

My 1955 Dommie was DEFINITLEY a silver-based 'standard' Polychromatic colour, like my old pushbike - a raleigh Palm Beach Tourist! I stll have original, untouched parts of the Dommie - but not the Raleigh!

Norton Owners Club Website by 2Toucans