Skip to main content
English French German Italian Spanish

1952 ES2 rear wheel

Forums

Hi Have just taken on a part rebuilt 52 ES2 to finish of. I noticed the rear wheel was loose in the frame when acquired but didn't take too much notice, Having striped it out I find it has two new single track wheel bearings. I have deduced from the 1950 parts list that the sprocket side should have a double row bearing. I plan in the short term to run it with these bearings so I need to make up a spacer to compensate for the narrow bearing. Does any one know the difference in width of of the two? Am also having trouble with the length of spindle distance piece on the other side of the rear hub. The 1950 parts list shows it as D12/461. Can you help with this. I guess I could work both out by trial and error but would like if possible to get it right. John

hi

6203 17x40x12 single row

4203 17x40x16 double row

not shure two single rows will take the load other wise norton would have done it

regards

bob

Thanks for reply Bob. Since posting, common sense prevailed and I fitted a double row bearing but that still didn't solve my problem. When every thing was tightened up the brake plate was hard into the rain groove in the hub locking the wheel. By adding flat washers between the double row bearing and the distance piece I achieve the clearance required which amounted to 10mm. A suitable distance piece being made on my lathe. Now ,I am working to the illustration in the 1950 parts list, is that different to the wheel on a 1952 ES2? I am still confused as to why this additional distace piece had to be made and wonder if the previous owner lost something. John

Norton Owners Club Website by 2Toucans