Skip to main content
English French German Italian Spanish

1952 ES2 gearbox oil specification

Forums

My original 1952 ES2 maintenance guide clearly says I should use exactly the same oil in the engine, gearbox and chaincase (eg Castrol XL or Castrol XXL which are I believe are 30 or 40 grade?).......however reading through various posts on gearbox oilit seems other owners are using oil such as Castrol EP90 or Hypoid 85W90........any thoughts on which is correct or the best one to use please?.....Cheers, Ben Tomlin

You do need to steer clear of hypoid oils containing large amounts of sulphur (GL5 spec). The usual recommendation is for GL4.

However, a 50 grade engine oil is usually thought adequate. Not multigrade though.

Ian is correct, the thing to avoid is the EP additive (containing the sulphur compounds) which can corrode the yellow metal bushes in the box. We are looking for a compromise between an oil that is thick enough not to leak out too quickly from a box which is not that well sealed but not so thick that it fails to splash lubricate the bushes on the main (upper) shaft. 50 Engine or 90 Gear seems about right. Although Norton did recommend engine oil for the box Morris and others offer monograde gear oils without EP additives. I'm not sure about 30 or 40 grade in the primary chain case, the usual grade for that is 20 (also for the Roadholder forks).

Ian McD

Red Line gearbox oil for Harley Davidsons with "shockproof" is good stuff but expensive, comes in quart bottles for about £20. so catch it when you drain down.

Remember that the grading system for gear oils is different from that for engine oil (never understood why) - 90 grade gear oil has a similar (but not identical) viscosity to 40 grade engine oil at 100 degrees C.

Thanks Ian (x 2) and David for your replies.......I have some Castrol monograde 50 so that's what I'll use.......maybe next time I shall use 90 grade gear oil now that I know it's similar to 40 grade engine oil.......

Cheers, Ben

Last time I asked for Castrol EP90 for my Commando, I was told it was harmful to the bushes, as previously mentioned, and was sold ST90 instead. Castrol's website doesn't appear to say anything to support ST90 over EP90 in this application, only that ST90 isn't suitable for hypoid applications, which suits us, no? Beyond that I have no idea ...

Previously david_evans wrote:

Red Line gearbox oil for Harley Davidsons with "shockproof" is good stuff but expensive, comes in quart bottles for about £20. so catch it when you drain down.

I think this was what was in my Guzzi V50 gearbox when I drained it - I'd never come across pink oil before and it gave me quite a shock (pun intended). Guzzi by the way are one of the few manufacturers that I know of to recommend additives - molyslip in the rear bevel drive.

Norton Owners Club Website by 2Toucans