Skip to main content
English French German Italian Spanish

1948 ES2 barrel/sleeve specs.

Forums

Good evening all,

I will be sending my barrel to a machine shop to have a sleeve installed (the barrel is already at +60).

The shop does countless sleeves but not Nortons or barrels of this vintage. They said I needed to bring my shiny new piston with me as well as the recomended clearance specs.

Please have a read of the below info and offer up any updates or new info/instructions:

I dug these out of my trusty manual:

Piston Clearance: .007"

Top of Skirt: .006"

Bottom of Skirt: .004"

From BritishCycle:

General Rules for Sleeve Installation:

These tips are intended to be a guide for installing sleeves into cylinders. There are always exceptions to the rule and care

must be taken on special applications.

1) Interference fit for cylinder sleeve to aluminum bore is .004.

2) Interference fit for cylinder sleeve to a cast iron bore is .002 to .003.

3) Installation of flange type sleeves follow the same rules, but the top of the cylinder must have a countersink to the

correct depth to accept the flanged sleeve.

4) Heating the cylinder for 45 minutes to an hour at 350 to 450 degrees is preferable.

5) Freeze your sleeve.

6) The sleeve should slide in very easily when the cylinder is properly heated.

7) Remember to rap the sleeve down after the cylinder has cooled off.

8) Milling the top deck of the cylinder always adds a quality touch. A caution here, some cylinders may not be able to have the top surface decked.

Cheers,

B

Hey all,

Anyone know the clearance specs for the pistons Andover sells? No info came with them. Or at least I can't find any...

Cheers,

B

I'd ring Andover to get the specs, it very important to make sure the clearance is to manufacturers spec. If it is a GPM piston Anna will be along shortly to tell you how bad they are! ;)

Hey,

I had a chuckle over that as I spent some of the afternoon reviewing Anna-isms vsJoe Seifert.

I sent Andover an email this morning asking for the specs. Hope to hear from them soon!

Anna is well intentioned but provides more opinion than fact at times.She replied to one of my first posting telling me I had the wrong mudguards. I spent a wack of time only to figure out she was off the mark. That said, I totally enjoy reading her comments. She is very pasionate about Nortons and hermudguards! I must ask her when they will be releasing an electric ES2 in Canada.:)

Cheers,

B

Norton Owners Club Website by 2Toucans