Skip to main content
English French German Italian Spanish

1939 Model 40 Manx GP front brake

Forums

Hi I'm racing in Belgium my 350cc Manx GP and the front brake has always been a tremendous stopper. Racing is "all on" (it takes 7000RPM and does165km/hr on regular 98 octane petrol on the straights) and then "all off" using the brakes as hard as you can, and the frontbrake gives stopping power exceeding more modern drumbrakes from the 70'sI experienced on road bikes.So far so good. The problem is that the cast iron circular insert which is included in the allow front hub became so thin due to wear (about 1mm thick) that I'm affraid that it will tear under strain during one of the next events which may have the front hub desintegrate, lockin-up the frontwheel with catastophic consequenses for bike and rider. To give an idea of the constraints imposed on the front brake: the powdercoat did burn off from the drum edges during use....

As I believe a front hub for a pre-war Manx GP is unobtainable, what would be a safe and effective remedy for the front brake so that I can resume racing?

THx in advance... Werner

Attachments snc12489-jpg

Previously dave_graham1 wrote:

I read about a BSA/Triumph conical front hub brake being machined to look similar to a Manx hub, but I can't find the web page now.

Just Googled the subject and found the page I was talking about.

Interesting approach. I could take the original frontwheel off and store it as such and build for racing purpose a frontwheel with this conical hub. Sounds quite straight forward especially that for racing absolute originality does not matter in the same extend as a show-bike.

Still I would like to "repair" the original one...any tips/experiences?

I met this Dutchguy at Murrays MC Museum IoM. I hadconical mag hubs suffferingcracks in thebearing holder. Hewasrecasting same.....

Jelle BethlehemSliksteeg 151811 MP Alkmaar

T: +31-72 5 15 49 75

Maybe worth a call.

Ifyou find some one whowilldo arepair keep us informed, Im heading that wayona post warplunger manx....

Cheers

J

Ken McIntosh lists a 1937 - '39 front brake assembly.

http://www.manxnorton.co.nz/catalogue/catalogue.jsp?m_id=2&show_parts=T

I don't know if it's the correct item, but his stuff is top quality. Description is as follows :-

"Front Brake Assembly 1937-1939. Single sided, conical, 8" single leading shoe type. Hub cast in heat treated cast iron. Brake plate and shoes cast in heat treated aluminium."

Previously richard_payne wrote:

Ken McIntosh lists a 1937 - '39 front brake assembly.

http://www.manxnorton.co.nz/catalogue/catalogue.jsp?m_id=2&show_parts=T

I don't know if it's the correct item, but his stuff is top quality. Description is as follows :-

"Front Brake Assembly 1937-1939. Single sided, conical, 8" single leading shoe type. Hub cast in heat treated cast iron. Brake plate and shoes cast in heat treated aluminium."

You found indeed someone reproducing the "real" pre-war manx frontbrake ! There is only one problem: it will give my wallet a heartattack...the NZ exchange rate is not good anymore ...

Thank you for yr help.

Norton Owners Club Website by 2Toucans