Skip to main content
English French German Italian Spanish

1935 cradle frame number

Forums

Hi,

I have a cradle frame with a batch number 596XX which by my understanding is for 1935.

I thought the cradle frame was used for the ES2 which is a model "4"

My frame has model "5" stamped, can anybody tell me what model the "5" is.

Cheers

Andy

Previously andy_marks wrote:

I thought the letter and number prefixes didn't start till after the war?

Hi Andy,

Thanks for all the replies.

You are correct but my understanding is that pre war the frames have a serial number plus a seperate number stamped that denotes the model.

I am still a bit confused about the number "5" I have a 1937 ES2 and that frame has the serial number plus a "4" stamped, and the Norton singles book by Roy Bacon has number "4" as the model number for the ES2.

All information I have looked at does not mention a model number 5, can anybody explain in more detail.

Cheers

Andy

My 1934 Inter has '30' then underneath it has 527xx.

The factory records show it as having left the factory in December so yours being a few thousand later would ring true with 1935...

Stating the obvious maybe, but are you sure you can see all of the number? Is it possible a prefix is being obscured by paint?

Andy

Previously andy_marks wrote:

My 1934 Inter has '30' then underneath it has 527xx.

The factory records show it as having left the factory in December so yours being a few thousand later would ring true with 1935...

Stating the obvious maybe, but are you sure you can see all of the number? Is it possible a prefix is being obscured by paint?

Andy

Hi Andy,

I can see all the numbers and have cleaned all the paint from the area, I think I need to pay the money to get the dating certificate to see what the bike was when it left the factory.

Cheers

Andy

Norton Owners Club Website by 2Toucans