Skip to main content
English French German Italian Spanish

16H/Model 18 1945

Forums

Hi,

sorry if these are a daft questions, I am more accustomed to twins and have very limited knowledge of the singles despite lusting for one for some years. I have been offered what is described as a 1945 Model 18. I note on the site that they were re introduced in 1946?

It's a rigid with girder forks in unrestored condition though roadworthy and running. I know both it's owners since 1950 both of whom state they did nothing to it other than use it for work each day.

What puzzles me is the current owner told me the frame number identifies the frame as a 16H? I have not yet checked with records.

Are the 16H frames the same as the model 18?

If so was it not unknown for the factory to get the numbers wrong or use up the frames constructed for the war effort?

Roughly what should I expect to pay assuming the frame number issue is resolvable?

Many thanks for any advice anyone can offer. Paul.

Before the war the 16H and model 18 were listed with the same open bottom frame. Immediately post war, Bacon says in 'Norton Singles' that both used the same cycle parts with the same prewar type cradle frame as used on cammy Nortons and ES2, and tele forks arrived in 1946.

Is the frame number on V5C? If so then you've got no issues. 'Unmodified' bike. Sounds nice! I'd like it to come my way.

Price? Who can say? 6500 for insurance valuation maybe if it's all there (proper tinware) but anyone's opinion here is just that! So few old Nortons seem to come up for sale.

Check VintageNorton web site for download prewar parts lists and manuals. It's prewar really.

...the WD bikes had a shorter front down tube for better ground clearance. The WD frames had a few other detail differences. The proportions look different. If it has a WD frame then it's not a proper type for model 18. Whether that matters I don't know.

Thanks David, a most informative reply. I'm taking another look this week and will do some more research. Paul.

Good luck Paul. On reflection the only Norton singles in current adverts are looking for a good deal more money. No doubt you've looked. Of course we never know how much they actually make.

Norton Owners Club Website by 2Toucans