Skip to main content
English French German Italian Spanish

Valve timing Dominator 88SS with 2S camshaft and 10:1 pistons

Forums

Can any one help please

A number of years ago the original SS camshaft on my Dominator 88SS was replaced with a Combat 2S camshaft and 10 :1 pistons. I would like to check over the valve timing as I dont think the top end peformance is as good as it used to be . I remember feeling a surge of power as the bike used to accelerate through 40mphwhen the cam came up on ramp .This is no longer there . The camchain wasreplaced a year ago . The valve timing is set up as per the manual with the markson pinion /idle gear and camshaft gear at 12 o clock and ten chain rollers apart. Should this be different for a 2S camshaft on this engine.

Thanks

Colin

Previously wrote:

Can any one help please

A number of years ago the original SS camshaft on my Dominator 88SS was replaced with a Combat 2S camshaft and 10 :1 pistons. I would like to check over the valve timing as I dont think the top end peformance is as good as it used to be . I remember feeling a surge of power as the bike used to accelerate through 40mphwhen the cam came up on ramp .This is no longer there . The camchain wasreplaced a year ago . The valve timing is set up as per the manual with the markson pinion /idle gear and camshaft gear at 12 o clock and ten chain rollers apart. Should this be different for a 2S camshaft on this engine.

Thanks

Colin

hello I do not know why you are using a 2S cam and 10:1 pistons for are you racing the bike or soming The timing on dominators is 11 o,clock on the cam and idle/gear at TDC and 6 links on the chain cam timing should not be messed with ??? A 88SS Compresstion Should be 9.5.1

Yours Anna J Dixon

Thanks for your reply Anna,

Sorry I think I had a senior moment ..the pistons are not 10 :1 but Im sure the cam was a 2s . Definately not racing

regards

Colin

Colin. The 2S cam timing is 59/89 & 88/60 degrees ....not sure what checking clearance, although it could beat 0.01" for both valves.

6 SIDE PLATE LINKS as per AJ Dixon, equates to 11 Links or" tooth holes"INCLUDINGthe marked teeth,but 10 rollers IN BETWEEN the marked teeth, so you probably have it correctly set, depending on your description.

Les H

Previously wrote:

Thanks for your reply Anna,

Sorry I think I had a senior moment ..the pistons are not 10 :1 but Im sure the cam was a 2s . Definately not racing

regards

Colin

hi colin your 2s cam was developed for racing as it has a longer open times so the engine can breath at highspeed and you may find that the engine my not want to tick over at slow reves ? abit like a manx racing bike they do notlike ticking over slowly they like to be on the reves all the time , Yours Anna J Dixon Ps see what happens ?

Previously wrote:

Can any one help please

Thanks

Colin

The 2s cam uses bigger clearances than the SS cam, you won't get any benefit with the wrong clearances.

Norton Owners Club Website by 2Toucans