Skip to main content
English French German Italian Spanish

Tank colour for 1956 Dominator

Forums

Hi, I am a new member I live in Boise Idaho,USA. I am restoring a 1956 600 Dominator came out of California to IDAHO IN 1957, I am the third owner the bike has set for app 40 some years app 8,000 miles. My question is the tank was chrome and paint, but the paint faded looks (orang-pink) center stripe and side sections. Was this original I have tried to find pictures of this color, I did take pictures of the original tank before rechroming.Can anyone help. Thanks

The tank would almost certainly have been a silvery grey, matching the frame color. There are many arguments as to which modern color is the best match. When my '54 Dominator was restored, many years ago, the paint was matched to the color of the inside of the primary chain case, as this was original. Some Dominators were painted red, or blue, but I am not certain if this was done as early as '56. In any event, the inside color of the chain case is most likely to be original.

If you look up and to the left of this thread, there is a sub-menu containing the NOC offerings. Click on Models.

This will bring up a new menu down the centre, within there are all the machines in the Norton range.

Scroll down to the Model 88 section where you will find a good photo of a 1956 Model 88. This Norton will be almost exactly the same specification as your bike.....just a bigger engine.

Note all the chrome and painted parts. The wheel rims and tank were painted with Silver and Red stripes. Both of these colours change with ageing. The Silver tends to darken while the Red goes Orange.

Previously John Shorter wrote:

The tank would almost certainly have been a silvery grey, matching the frame color. There are many arguments as to which modern color is the best match. When my '54 Dominator was restored, many years ago, the paint was matched to the color of the inside of the primary chain case, as this was original. Some Dominators were painted red, or blue, but I am not certain if this was done as early as '56. In any event, the inside color of the chain case is most likely to be original.

Previously charles_parke wrote:

Thank you for this info there is a possability some one repainted the tank from1956 to 1958. I will take this information and finish my bike soon Thank you again.

Previously phil_hannam wrote:

If you look up and to the left of this thread, there is a sub-menu containing the NOC offerings. Click on Models.

This will bring up a new menu down the centre, within there are all the machines in the Norton range.

Scroll down to the Model 88 section where you will find a good photo of a 1956 Model 88. This Norton will be almost exactly the same specification as your bike.....just a bigger engine.

Note all the chrome and painted parts. The wheel rims and tank were painted with Silver and Red stripes. Both of these colours change with ageing. The Silver tends to darken while the Red goes Orange.

Thank for this info I will take this information and finish the bike soon. There is apossibility that some one painted the tank between 1956 - 1958, Thanks again.

Previously charles_parke wrote:

Hi, I am a new member I live in Boise Idaho,USA. I am restoring a 1956 600 Dominator came out of California to IDAHO IN 1957, I am the third owner the bike has set for app 40 some years app 8,000 miles. My question is the tank was chrome and paint, but the paint faded looks (orang-pink) center stripe and side sections. Was this original I have tried to find pictures of this color, I did take pictures of the original tank before rechroming.Can anyone help. Thanks

well some Norton's for export were painted in post office red or light metallic blue . yours maybe on of these hope this helps

NOT in 1956 Anna.

well yes they did on export machines there one or two in Australia and new Zealand this just like say there were no model 77 in 1951 ,

Norton Owners Club Website by 2Toucans