Skip to main content
English French German Italian Spanish

Re: Old 350 Manx

Forums

Just done a deal on a 40M. I don't doubt it's genuine as it has only had a few owners and the last one since the early 70's. Last raced / run in 1980. Never pulled to bits and well known in Norton / old bike circles.

I emailed the records office but haven't had any reply yet so in the meantime thought I would see if anyone on here could shed some light on a couple of anomalies.

The frame number is 10m 9xxxx. The lack of a date code letter tallies with the claimed year of 1961 but some sources say that there should be a "2" for featherbed after the "M". I have looked very closely but no sign of it whatsoever.

Gearbox number is MX1328 but I can't find any lists of box numbers.

I couldn't get to the engine number because the fairing was in the way but when I get it home next week I'll get it.

The oddest thing is it appears to have always had a fibreglass fuel tank. It is there in all the old photos and has plenty of battle scars. I wasn't aware that these were fitted from new. Has it been changed or were these an option on the late bikes?

Attachments 350-manx-007a-jpg

Hi Michael

My -59 40M has frame number M10 81xxx, there is no 2, so my guess is that your frame number is correct. As far as I know, the tank is probably replaced. Most racers at that time regarded what they got from the factory as raw material which they modified in hope of improving it to get tenth of seconds or even seconds better lap times. I would be surpriced if it has not been stripped and rebuilt a number of times during it's racing career. Fairings was always added, no serious racer in the sixties rode without them. Did improve top speed between 5 and 10 Mph. On your picture it looks as it has modified exhaust. There is a lot of Manxes in museums looking as they came from Bracebridge Street. Hopefully you'll keep it as it was raced with scars and dents as it is part of it's history. As I said before on this forum, I keep the dented and welded primary chain guard on mine, as it got it's dents when chain broke at last lap in juniorTT -62.

Mike

I have previously had a very shiny Molnar engined big bore multi geared methanol drinking bitsa. The last thing I want is for this one to be confused with a shiny new replica. Plan is to clean everything and make it mechanically perfect but still looking like it does now. It won't be raced against all the updated stuff as that will just lead to blowing it up.

First owner in NZ was Hugh Anderson who brought it into the country as a personal import. Only 2 since then before me. Very little use and neither of the last 2 owners ever had it apart..

Norton Owners Club Website by 2Toucans