Skip to main content
English French German Italian Spanish

Model 18 Year 1936

Forums

Good afternoon,

I already own a Norton model 18 (year 1936) and I woulld like to try getting more information about it.

Maybe, you could help me to know which parts of this Norton model are not original: https://goo.gl/photos/2BtVsnNJhJiJAvKb7

Thanks in advance for your help.

Best regards,

Jose Manuel Cortizo

membership No.: 402383

He'll Jose. I am surprised that no one has replied to your question. I do not know enough about the model 18 to advise you. Your bike looks superb and looks quite original. Unfortunately the man that new everything about pre war singles ( George Cohen ) passed away earlier this year, he would have helped. Maybe someone out there who has a Model 18 will be prompted to help you. Good luck. Russell

Plastic fuel pipe may loose you a few points in a competition, the seat looks like it may be a little forward for optimum comfort, not that I would change anything.

The main reason for not putting out any criticism is that it looks fine. A bit shiny perhaps . Were primary chain cases ever chromed in the 1930's? Who knows what a keen person might have ordered from the factory - or done for himself decades ago?

If you are really keen on originality then- as Robert says: the fuel pipes shouldbe dull chrome plated curly copper. Also the headlight glass should be flat. But that really is 'nit picking'.

It looks like you have the correct (pre-1938 I think)straight gear lever, although the longer turned-down WD Norton version is a lot more comfortable to use.

The tool box catch should look like one from a small old-fashioned suit case.

Ideally the tank should be chromed, but (as the late George Cohen says, that runs the risk that over-polishing will leave it too thin and it might leak...). The thin red line was outside the black for a few years in the 30's. That's been pointed out to me by Roger of this parish.

Check the www dot vintagenorton dot com web site for lots of pictures of Norton singles.

But really I'd use it ifit was mine.

Jose, have you checked the delivery details of your frame through the NOC ? Many of the 1936 Model 18s in Spain were not standard commercial models but were to military specification, fitted with crankcase protectors and were ordered by the Republican Government via the French importer, Pierre Psalty in Paris. Presumably because of the conflict situation, it was not possible to deliver directly.

There were also Royal Enfields and BSAs supplied through similar channels.

If you would really like a list of non-1936 parts, I could compile one but please be assured it would not be any sort of criticism of the motorcycle which has survived for eighty years with little modification.

Norton Owners Club Website by 2Toucans