Skip to main content
English French German Italian Spanish

Frame commando 1968

Forums

Hello, I possede one fastback commando squad on 1968 with the 1st frame(executive) (with tole in U) can you one modify this frame(executive) without replacing him(it), thank you for reponse. Bernard

Hi Bernard,

Congratulations on your effort to get a message up on the forum.

I know of at least two early Commando frames that have been modified. One of them had broken as they often did. The other was modified out of fear of it breaking.

Yes, you can modify the frames without replacement. Just add the extra tube in as per the later frames.

Bob

I just did a modification on an original 68 Commando frame. I will be riding this next Spring. The bike had 20,000 miles on it when I got it, the previous owner had added something inside the large frame tube and welded a small steel plate on at the top of the down tubes. I added the 1 inch tube. I have a Dave Taylor head steady mounted.

Mike Friel

Previously wrote:

Hi Bernard,

I know of at least two early Commando frames that have been modified. One of them had broken as they often did. The other was modified out of fear of it breaking.

Yes, you can modify the frames without replacement. Just add the extra tube in as per the later frames.

Bob

My 68 wasn't broken but I got Les Emery to weld up the extra gusset- very straightforward and recommended job. Pity I decided to do it after the frame got powder coated...

Hayden

Previously robert_davis1 wrote:

Hi Bernard,

Bob

Norton Owners Club Website by 2Toucans