Skip to main content
English French German Italian Spanish

ES2 or Model 18/19 ... what's the difference?

Forums

HELP

I'm in a bit of a dilema as to which OHV model to go for, so any advice would be most appreciated.

Performance wise, what is the difference between a model 18, model 19 or an ES2.

I'm after a late 1940s/early 1950s model but just can't make my mind up.

Many thanks

Ian

Hi,

Late 1940's models would have been the model 18 and ES2, the performance would have been nearly identical. The model 19's reappeared in 1955 as the rigid framed 19r and the swinging arm framed 19s, these were intended as more of a sidecar tug than a performance machine, even Norton's sales pitches of the time advocated their usefulness in sidecar work and solo gearing had to be special ordered.

Regards,

Albert

The ES2 was always a step above the Model 18 chassis-wise. Pre-war, the ES2 had a full cradle frame and the 18 shared the 'open diamond' with the 19 and the side-valves.

When the Model 18 reappeared in 1946, it had gained the cradle frame and when the ES2 was reintroduced, it was with plunger suspension.

Although the postwar ES2 therefore has the luxury of rear springing, there is a suggestion that the 18 might be better on the road. A good one of either would be better than a bad one of the other. The Model 18 is presumably a little lighter.

The major change to bear in mind might be the changeover from lever cam followers for the 1948 model year.

Norton Owners Club Website by 2Toucans