Skip to main content
English French German Italian Spanish

Dominator 961

Take delivery on Monday of my new Dominator. Will do a write up on how its rides etc weather permitting!!!!!

Previously graham_leblond wrote:

Take delivery on Monday of my new Dominator. Will do a write up on how its rides etc weather permitting!!!!!

Welcome to the world of 961 ownership, you'll need to watch out for those gritters chucking rocks at it though.

How's life with the Dommie big G ?? What about a meet at the cafe near Brands if you're up for breakfast and a thrash. Terry

Previously terry_woods wrote:

How's life with the Dommie big G ?? What about a meet at the cafe near Brands if you're up for breakfast and a thrash. Terry

Sunday morning weather permitting !!!!!!!!

Hi Ian

Its a simple operation but you have to work like an obstetrician.

The old bracket is easily removable with just a few allen bolts and screws. However you have to remove the rear seat section to get to the wiring.

There are two retaining screws underneath at the rear of the unit. Under the seat hump you will find an alloy plate with large grommets. Remove these and insert a long allen key (7mm I think) into the void. There are two domed bolts which loosen the unit. It pulls off and you can then split the wiring to be able to change over the indicators and original light.

I did have to call Sean, who I take it has provided the new bracket for you, as there isn't a manual covering the removal of the seat unit. It would have taken me forever to find the domed bolts as there is no vision of them at all. As an asides you will also find the charging lead in one the holes behind the grommet.

Obviously fitting is the opposite but make sure that you put the seat unit back on before attaching the new bracket etc as the two rear retaining screws are covered by the new bracket.

A set of stubby ratchet spanners also make the job easier due to the limited room behind the rear light.

There is no provision for a number plate light and I currently have my lead cable tied up under the seat unit until I decide of what type I want. It will probably be an LED unit which are readily available on eBay.

Any problems send me a pm and I will give you my number.

Good Luck

Graham

Hmm a bit more to it than I was hoping. I don't know who Sean is, I'm in New Zealand, perhaps he's someone at the factory?

I had a quick peek and thought I might be able to fashion a bracket to hang of the indicator mounts. But not sure if they'll be strong enough. This issue seems to be a real grey area. I presume what you and everyone else does is illegal otherwise manufacturers wouldn't bother with the expense of fabricating the stock unit in the knowledge it was going to be removed immediately! On the flip side the police don't seem to care unless you mount the plate on a crazy angle.

Hi Ian Sorry didn't realise your situation. There is a guy called Sean who will manufacture a new bracket for you but he is based in England. He is very good and the bracket comes powder coated and is of factory quality. I think the regs are such that the horrible OE part is required to meet their criteria. I don't think that the police here are not worried about enforcing this. If you PM me I can send you Sean's details. If not good luck with making one . There are several aftermarket companies that make generic brackets. I am sure one of these will work with a little modification.

Yes it is, but I would be surprised if it was not in UK. Otherwise they wouldn't deliver them with reflectors.

As long as you do not have to pass the vehicle inspection here it should not be a problem. In any case you can still tell them you just lost it.

Actually I was driving for a while without one because it did break and got lost...

So no worries to pass through Switzerland on your way to Rimini ;)

Raphael

Innocent Thanks for the info. Whilst it is a requirement I have never been questioned about the lack of a reflector except at MOT time.

Thanks for the info Graham, picking the bike up in a couple of hours now. Will have to suffer the indignation of riding her the 30 miles home with the stock plate holder - there are worse things in life I suppose. Laughing

Will take sometime and look at all the options once I have her home.

Reflectors do have their uses other than passing MoT tests. I was riding down the A1 if rain and fog and was stopped by a lorrydriver who pointed out that my rear light had failed and it was only the reflector showing up in his lights that stopped a collision. Yes, the lorries were travelling faster than me...

Of course you are right Gordon. I was once driving with a failed rear light. The bad thing is you normally do not recognise it. It would have been much more uncomfortable without reflector...

Hi Ian

Please let me know how you get on. I had a look through your photos and for your info the guy who makes the number plate bracket also makes a cover for the throttle body in black or polished. I have attached photos

Attachments img_2527-jpg

Thanks Graham, picked her up yesterday. Have managed 60 miles so far. Wrists and neck not particularly happy but with a few more miles they'll adapt soon enough. Seat is fine could easily do some big miles on it.

Stock pipes and plate holder not as bad as I'd feared in real life. But far to quiet. I wish they'd fitted the short sports pipes - wondering if they weren't available when they signed off on the design. The megaphones apparently are at the other end of the spectrum and pointless to fit if you intend riding regularly. Plus talking to the service tech yesterday they take 3 hours to fit since you have to change the pegs as well!

But still grinning from ear to ear!

Attachments IMAG0030_4.jpg

Hi Ian Whats that funny glow in the background? I remember its the sun. The seat does take getting used to but as you rightly say it just takes a few miles for the body to adapt to the riding position etc.

I don't know when you ordered yours but the short pipes only became a choice rather than an additional option late last year. The megaflow pipes look great but I think may attract too much of the wrong type of attention for everyday use. I wasn't aware that a peg change was involved as I did intend to order a set as a spare thinking it would be a simple 30 min job to swap.

Enjoy!

The bike comes with a big bag of bits, including new brackets for relocating the foot pegs etc. Also a different fuel filler cap. I'll unwrap everything and take a few photos.

I do feel sorry for you, 29C today, it hasn't rained in weeks so we could do with some of your rain!

Hi Ian I saw your thread on Access Norton but had not put it together that you were one and the same. Terry who is also on this site has Rizoma on one bike and Oberon on another. He says the quality of the Rizoma is far better. I have Halcyon mirrors fitted to mine.

Extra one is a locking cap. Can't see how you would fit it without butchering the tank.

Standard

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y28/iwilson/Norton/image_zpsgozskptw.jpeg

Locking

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y28/iwilson/Norton/image_zpsmnalnql1.jpeg

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y28/iwilson/Norton/image_zpsf8zeqf3n.jpeg

Also grabbed the opportunity to get some more k's under my belt and ride back to the dealer to see one fired up with the megaphones. Sounded great just 30db to loud!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UKjTB5DACHw

Ian, it seems you got the standard filler cap of the Commando 961. If I remember right somebody wrote once that it is from BMW...

Previously raphael_vonaesch wrote:

Ian, it seems you got the standard filler cap of the Commando 961. If I remember right somebody wrote once that it is from BMW..

Raphael,

I thought my tank would have the Monza type filler cap as fitted to the first SS, when I asked Nick at the factory why the nasty screw cap he said it was because they had been experiencing problems with the Monza type leaking and it presented a problem with type approval !!!.

Hi Terry

I am wondering how the Monza filler cap looks like. Do you have a picture?

Raphael

Hi, no I don't have a photo just Google it loads on there

Terry

Hi Terry

Raphael

Terry

I guess, you mean this one (see attached Link).

Would look good... May be this type of filler cap could be found somewhere to fit to the alloy tank.

I will let you know, if I find something.

Raphael

Attachments norton-dominator-ss-2-jpg

Previously Phil Hannam wrote:

Attached photo show front end of a 7 week old 961 Sport. Same age as yours Graham ........... I did try and email you!

Is this a quality control issue, normal or other?

Hi Phil,

More a cleaning issue unless you have no miles on the bike.

Checked mine out and looks ok but I will remove the spindle and grease anyway thanks for heads up

Terry

Hi Terry

Raphael

Terry

Would look good... May be this type of filler cap could be found somewhere to fit to the alloy tank.

Raphael

Looking at the picture I'm wondering if that Monza cap just screws on to the threaded boss on the Norton tank, I'll ask the factory.

Terry

Hi Terry

Raphael

Terry

Raphael

Raphael have you received the alloy tank yet.

Terry

Can anyone advise on how to re-illuminate the speedo on a 961?

At the back of the speedo are two plug sockets and a hatch. So where are the bulbs/LEDs positioned and how do you change them? There does not appear to be any advice in the Owner's Handbook apart from bulbs are not covered by the warranty.

Attached pics show minor surgery.

Attachments 961%20speedo%20light%20replace%20-%20Hatch.JPG 961-speedo-light-replace-underside-jpg

Are you sure the bulb is damaged?

There is also a function of changing illumination which is not described in the manual. If I remember correctly, you have to switch to the indication of voltage then change strength of illumination by pushing longer on the button...

Just in case, maybe this helps.

Thanks Raphael.......this could be the answer. The only doubt I have over your suggestion is the rev clock is still shining brightly. Are the two clocks not both dimmed together?

The Owner's Handbook does not appear to much help regarding this procedure or any similar. Perhaps it is written on one of the blank pages. Along with changing the clock, using the trip meter etc. It took me 2 months to work out why 12.1 kept appearing on the little screen.

Hi Terry

Raphael

Terry

Raphael

Terry

Hi Terry

The alloy tank arrived to Switzerland, I just have to pick it up by the dealer in the next days.

Did you get an information about suitable Monza caps from the factory, yet?

Raphael

Raphael......Thanks for the website address re 961 Manuals. This site looks really helpful and could be a must for any new owners. I can not believe that, after 7 years of production, the Owner's Handbook still contains so many useless blank pages.

Terry......I have made a considerable number of phone calls and sent emails asking for advice. I still work full-time and all the call-backs from the factory have fallen during my shift times. Norton Motors needs to set up some form of response centre that can give advice either by phone or email outside their office hours.

Hi Phil

Just as a thought, have you tried phoning the dealer that took your money. I would have thought they would be willing to assist.

Regards

Graham

Raphael...........problem solved!!!

I have managed to fix the problem. You were almost spot on with how to change the illumination level of the speedo.Such is the power of the Internet and the value of being an NOC member.A good job I renewed my subscription.....last month!The solution is to power up the main lights.Next scroll through the speedo info panel menu until you find the battery voltage level. It is marked with 'V'. Plus 12.1 or 12.2Push and hold the select button until 'Ill' (for illumination) appears.This will show a number between 0 and 10.Push the button to change this number. 10 being the brightest level.After changing the level of illumination scroll through the menu once again to fix/lock the change, otherwise it defaults back to the previous setting.Which in my case was zero.I now have a very bright speedo and a not so bright rev counter clock.

I now have a very bright speedo and a not so bright rev counter clock.

Dare we ask which one matches the owner? Smile

Raphael...........problem solved!!!

I have managed to fix the problem. You were almost spot on with how to change the illumination level of the speedo.Such is the power of the Internet and the value of being an NOC member.A good job I renewed my subscription.....last month!The solution is to power up the main lights.Next scroll through the speedo info panel menu until you find the battery voltage level. It is marked with 'V'. Plus 12.1 or 12.2Push and hold the select button until 'Ill' (for illumination) appears.This will show a number between 0 and 10.Push the button to change this number. 10 being the brightest level.After changing the level of illumination scroll through the menu once again to fix/lock the change, otherwise it defaults back to the previous setting.Which in my case was zero.I now have a very bright speedo and a not so bright rev counter clock.

Phil, that's exactly what I meant with changing illumination. But still there has to be a problem with your "not so bright rev counter". This one seems to be illuminated by thebulb of the speedo... I mean, speedo and rev counter should have the same brightness. Is it possible that the rev counter bulb is damaged?

Previously charles_claxton wrote:

I now have a very bright speedo and a not so bright rev counter clock.

Dare we ask which one matches the owner? Smile

The one that hovers around 1100 on tickler ð?

Hi Terry

Raphael

Terry

Raphael

Terry

Hi Terry

The alloy tank arrived to Switzerland, I just have to pick it up by the dealer in the next days.

Did you get an information about suitable Monza caps from the factory, yet?

Raphael

I'll call them today but I'm pretty sure that the 2 1/2 inch Monza will do the job.

My tank is booked for pinstripes and I'm toying with getting it lacquered as the alloy is a pig to keep scratch free !.

Terry

Raphael

I'll call them today but I'm pretty sure that the 2 1/2 inch Monza will do the job.

My tank is booked for pinstripes and I'm toying with getting it lacquered as the alloy is a pig to keep scratch free !.

Terry

You were right about the cap. See pictures...

Attachments Monza_2.JPG monza_1-jpg

Norton Owners Club Website by 2Toucans