Skip to main content
English French German Italian Spanish

Amal 276 " Easily Starting Screw " drawings/ dimensionsThe screw may become

Forums

Several years ago at the request of a member in Kiwi land I measured and made drawings of the throttle screw on my ES2 276 standard carb - IIRC Nortons called it their " Easily Starting Screw " or some thing to that effect. It is simply a screw with an adjustable stop that raises the slide slightly to a predetermined fixed height for starting without input from the twist grip.

At the time I did this they were apparently hard to come by - at least " dahn unduh " - and so the drawings were of interest to make or have one made . Thinking that these might be of interest to some of the membership I contacted the gentleman in NZ to see if he still had them as I lost mine in one of several computer mishaps . Fortunately he did indeed still have them on record and forwarded them to me along with the good news that they are recently available again from Burlen/Amal.

For whatever it may be worth I thought I should post the drawings regardless . The screw may become unavailable again in the future or some may enjoy making one as a relatively simple machining project so here are said drawings . Perhaps the moderators of this forum might wish to archive them in some fashion - their call.

Attachments image-jpg

And a photo of the subject - sorry for the additional post but I can't seem to include more than one attachment .

Lathes and mills are easier than computers when you are a dinosaur Luddite !

Attachments image-jpg

The accessory manufactured by Burlen for pre-Monobloc carbs is called a T-bar throttle stop but it costs just shy of forty quid, so the self-help option could be doubly attractive.

Thanks for this. Useful if, like me, you have to leave the bike with a cold engine on tickover in order to close and padlock a gate behind you when you leave home.

The first reference that I've seen to these is on an Amal spec. card for the WD16H dated 4/8/39. It states; " For FUTURE use, the question of Thr. stop (Veloce type) has to be considered."

Like so many of Norton's good ideas, it was pinched from Velocette who used them pre-war...I don't think that Norton did until 1946 ?

Norton Owners Club Website by 2Toucans