Skip to main content
English French German Italian Spanish

1959 Dominator 99 electronic ignition

Forums

Can anyone please recommend a reliableelectronic ignition that retains the points.

I have looked at Pazon etc but this would require mods to the distributor to have a points free system.

Thanks.

I have a Pazon points assist unit that takes the load off the points and ensures a strong spark. The capacitor in the dissy can be insulated but left in position as its not needed. the unit needs to be placed on the drive side of the bike just in sight as it has an indicator light for timing which can be watched at the same time as a timing disc. You will need one that works with pos earth if that is what you have.It is also cheap!!!.And can be removed at the roadside if it fails ,putting the ign back to standard. Can't do that with any other electronics system.

I have a Boyer electronic ignition running on my 61 Dominator. The pickup plate fits inside the 18D2 distributor and was built by Al Osborne. Works perfectly.

Tobin

Thanks Robert,

I can't find the points assist you mention, do you know of a supplier.I believe theone that retains points whichis currently available from Pazon requires you to purchase two units if you have two sets of points. - Thanks

Previously wrote:

I have a Pazon points assist unit that takes the load off the points and ensures a strong spark. The capacitor in the dissy can be insulated but left in position as its not needed. the unit needs to be placed on the drive side of the bike just in sight as it has an indicator light for timing which can be watched at the same time as a timing disc. You will need one that works with pos earth if that is what you have.It is also cheap!!!.And can be removed at the roadside if it fails ,putting the ign back to standard. Can't do that with any other electronics system.

You could also buy the BTH electronic magneto unit, which is a fit and forget unit. It does not need a CB to work, and fits in the place of a magneto or a distributor, and will make your motor feel much smoother.

Previously wrote:

You could also buy the BTH electronic magneto unit, which is a fit and forget unit. It does not need a CB to work, and fits in the place of a magneto or a distributor, and will make your motor feel much smoother.

And make your pocket feel lighter too !

Previously wrote:

Thanks Robert,

I can't find the points assist you mention, do you know of a supplier.I believe theone that retains points whichis currently available from Pazon requires you to purchase two units if you have two sets of points. - Thanks

You only should have one set of points and one coil with a Distributor.

Previously wrote:

Previously wrote:

Can anyone please recommend a reliableelectronic ignition that retains the points.

I have looked at Pazon etc but this would require mods to the distributor to have a points free system.

Thanks.

Hi, I have a Boyer Inductive Discharge system fitted to my 1960 99 which keeps the points. The previous owner fitted it years ago and it remains trouble free. The points last 75,000 miles so Boyer say so it is a fit and forget item pretty much. It is also cheap and unobtrusive, mine is in the tool box, and British if that matters to you. Regards, Chris.

Thanks to everyone for their help and advice, I'll follow the Boyer Bransden route first and see how I get on.

Harold

Norton Owners Club Website by 2Toucans