Skip to main content
English French German Italian Spanish

1954 rear wheel and swinging arm

Forums

hello, i m trying to assemble a more original rear section for my bolt up 88 using a repro swing arm [manx type] and a mix of pre 55 rear q.d. wheel and spacers [not full hub].however the wheel when assembled to the new brake drum runs closer to the drive side fork of the swinging arm by about 1/2" than the right side.could i have a single wheel with a different spoke/rim offset? or is this normal? everything is in bits as i intend to paint the frame and need to weld chainguard brackets so i would prefer a knowledgeable answer rather than have to reassemble the forks and frame again. help appreciated as want to finish this project asap.

Hi Eddie, I can't tell you what is causing your problem, but, it is not normal. I have just checked the rear wheel, on my '54 Dominator, as close as can be measured, it is dead central between the swinging arms. Do you have a spacer, between the swinging arm and brake backplate?, if this is missing, the whole wheel and brake drum would move too far to the left.

As you have a mixture of parts I would start by lining up the sprockets then fill the gaps with spacers (make up as necessary) ,then get the wheel rim to line up with the front wheel which should be central in the forks. This will most likely need the attention of a wheelbuilder.Centralising in the rear fork may work (but it is a non standard part and may be off).The rim should also be central between the suspension units as a rough guide.

thanks for reply robert and john.i m a bit gutted that i have to do more alignment work. i m still missing that brake drum spacer. is it the same size as the standard dommie one john? where i am picking up my datum from is the dummy spindle flat into the swing arm flat so possibly its the dummy spindle thats too short but i will have to check chain alignment and buy a spacer first.if somebody has their wheel off their 54 dommie perhaps they could measure and post the correct length of that spindle. also the speedo top hat spacers. i have one but cannot work out if its the long or short one. any help appreciated.

Hi again Eddie,

It is too late tonight, but, tomorrow I will check the length of the spacers. On my Dominator there is a "Top hat" spacer on the left ( with the brim against the brake plate), and a plain spacer on the right.

O.K. Eddie, I have just measured the spacers on my bike. As close as I can get (without removing the wheel) :- The "Top Hat" spacer, on the drive side is 15 mm long. The wider end giving greater contact area with the brake plate, to avoid distorsion when tightening. The plain spacer, between swinging arm and speed drive, is 20 mm in length. Of course, my bike has it's original swinging arms fitted, your new ones may not be identical. With the wheel in place, it is difficult to measure the exact spacing between the arms, but it seems to be 20 cm, with everything tightened. If your spacing is different, you will have to modify the spacer lengths, to get the wheel central, starting from the drive side. Unfortunately, if this put the gearbox and wheel sprockets way out of line, your problem is not solved!, and the wheel will have to be rebuilt.

many thanks for quick reply john and going to so much trouble measuring wheel spacers for me.i will pull it all out friday and let you know how i get on.

kind regards eddie

Norton Owners Club Website by 2Toucans