Skip to main content
English French German Italian Spanish

1952 tappet guide removal?

Forums

HELP.....I'm on a mission overhauling my much loved and ridden big 4 1952. Amongst other worn out parts I've discovered that the hardening has worn through on an inletvalve lifter and the guides are worn. I have some decent ones on my spare motor that i want to use.

But how do you get the buggers out. All my books say use a sprocket extractor, what do these look like ? Any top tips on removal and assembly very gratefully recieved!

Bob Mitchell

I think that the socket extractor tool will look like the tool in the attachment.

A threaded rod is inserted through the socket and then through the guide. A head is screwed onto the end of the threaded rod that is sticking up past the end of the guide.

As the threaded rod is turned in, the head is pulled against the guide and pulls it into the socket.

The photo is from an old Zundapp instruction book but it is the only photo I could find on the web. I think that you will get the idea.

Mike Sullivan

Branch Secretary, Northern California

Attachments Socket-extractor-tool.jpg

Previously wrote:

I think that the socket extractor tool will look like the tool in the attachment.

A threaded rod is inserted through the socket and then through the guide. A head is screwed onto the end of the threaded rod that is sticking up past the end of the guide.

As the threaded rod is turned in, the head is pulled against the guide and pulls it into the socket.

The photo is from an old Zundapp instruction book but it is the only photo I could find on the web. I think that you will get the idea.

Mike Sullivan

Branch Secretary, Northern California

Previously wrote:

HELP.....I'm on a mission overhauling my much loved and ridden big 4 1952. Amongst other worn out parts I've discovered that the hardening has worn through on an inletvalve lifter and the guides are worn. I have some decent ones on my spare motor that i want to use.

But how do you get the buggers out. All my books say use a sprocket extractor, what do these look like ? Any top tips on removal and assembly very gratefully recieved!

Bob Mitchell

Not sure how this site works as i can't seem to get a reply posted on site ! The type of puller described will not work on a 52 type motor as you need to get the guide out to enable removal of the tappit/valve lifter, so you cannot put a rod through the guide to remove itas described ! Help !!!

Bob

Bob, a sprocket extractor is a small two leg puller. Use a small two or three leg puller in the rebate on the guide pushing against the lifter, or use a slide hammer .Heat the case [within reason], and the guide will come out easily.Never extract or install anything in an alloy case without heating the case.I just use a pinch bar in the groove., and dont forget to install the lifter first. Regards , John.

Norton Owners Club Website by 2Toucans