Skip to main content
English French German Italian Spanish

1946 Model 18, was the doll's head gearbox ever fitted at the works?

Forums

I have been trying to find information on my 1946 Model 18. It has a doll's head gearbox and I have been told that it should have the newer outer cover to be correct. My question is, did some early Model 18 units leave the works with the Doll's head gearbox fitted?

The engine number is: A3 1594

The Frame number is: A3 2245

Thank you.

Richard,

For what it's worth, the image of the Model 18 in the 1946 Norton catalogue shows the upright gearbox. The text also says: "Gearbox - Norton 4-speed with built-in positive foot operation. Patent No. 424154."

We all know however that what Norton said it was going to do in terms of its publicity information and what it actually built in the factory need not have been exactly the same. It is easy to envisage Norton using up old components that had been lying around untill production recommenced after the war.

Being a post-war machine, one would expect the Engine No. and Frame No. to be the same, unless the Model 18 was an exception. You could get the Records Officer to do a Factory Records search and see whether the gearbox number on either 1594 or 2245 matches yours.

Richard,

I also would expect the engine and frame numbers to be the same and for the bike to be fitted with an upright gearbox of the post war enclosed type with a round clutch lever cover as opposed to the later oval version.

Best

Roger

Norton Owners Club Website by 2Toucans