Skip to main content
English French German Italian Spanish

Is a 1934 16H crank casing the same as a 1934 model 19 crank casing. 

Forums

Is a 1934 16H crank casing the same as a 1934 model 19 crank casing.

I have recently had the NOC supply me the basic factory records for my 1934 Norton.  The NOC dating officer advises that the engine number on my 1934 16H is in fact a model 19. I have checked the bore and stroke and this corresponds to a 16H. The motor looks like a 16H motor  according to the Norton user manual.  I assume that over the past 80 years someone has changed the engine casings.  My questions then, are the casings interchangeable. Is the size of the rotating crank the same on the 16H as the model 19.  Any differences that I should take into account between the casings. The bike was running well, but had lots of oil leaks. Recently the scavenger oil pump failed. A replacement pump is on order from Andover Norton. I have striped the motor to do the above repairs and also to visually inspect inside the casings. 

Model 19= ohv. The cases might have been the same casting (I don't know in this case)  but sv and OHV cases were machined differently. Franks  says "this requires special machining and it is not intended to suggest that a conversion from one type to the other is a simple proposition".

He does say "by the substitution of large unions to accommodate the push rod tubes the sc crankcase becomes suitable for the ohv".

Maybe someone can say if the flywheels are the same diameter?

'Franks' is 'Norton Motor Cycles' - a practical guide.  Small hardback book, published in various editions from 1949 to 1956.  Franks was part of the design team in the 30's.  You might find one somewhere.

If you want a manual, you can download the WD 16H manual from the wdnorton website.

Norton Owners Club Website by 2Toucans