Skip to main content
English French German Italian Spanish

1930 Model 22 valve stem clearance?

Forums

I'm trying to figure how much stem clearance to give this old beast. I have made new iron guides and am using Manley chrome stem valves that are the best quality I can find. I have no experience setting up this arrangement in an unlubricated environment and figure someone out there will know more than me. When I took it apart, it was reported to be running well with .100" stem clearance. Yes, 1/10th of an inch.

Thanks,

Mike

Edgar Franks book for 1932 gives .002 inlet and .004 exhaust for all the OHV engines.. But were there significant engine changes at about that time?

I've also just had a look in Franks' book and it looks like the top end of the engine was lubricated by 1932 so these clearances may well be different.

Previously michael_rettie wrote:

I'm trying to figure how much stem clearance to give this old beast. I have made new iron guides and am using Manley chrome stem valves that are the best quality I can find. I have no experience setting up this arrangement in an unlubricated environment and figure someone out there will know more than me. When I took it apart, it was reported to be running well with .100" stem clearance. Yes, 1/10th of an inch.

Thanks,

Mike

Mike, I've just had my head professionally done on my '27 M18 engine.

Valve clearances in guides were0.07 mm on inlet and 0.09 mm on exhaust. By my rough calcultions this is, in imperial terms, 3 thou and 4 thou of an inch respectively. Suggest you double-check my maths, but hope this helps. NB these were road clearances, not for racing.

Alan.

Thanks all,

In the end I ended up giving them each about .004" clearance and will hope for the best. It's not like it's going to smoke. Given the previous condition, it has to be an improvement. Attached is a shot of Geoff's bike, originally sold in Wales and now residing in San Francisco.

Cheers,

Mike

Attachments GeoffNorton.0.jpg GeoffNorton.jpg

As a follow up to what is said above, I always give the cast iron guides a liberal soak in colloidal graphite oilbefore fitting the valves, to give them a head start in the lubrication side of things!

Norton Owners Club Website by 2Toucans