Skip to main content
English French German Italian Spanish

Workshop manual 1936 16H

Forums

Hi, having only just joined NOC and looking at taking ownership of my first ever classic motorbike next weekend, I'm eager to source a workshop manual for my bike. I've had a look on Ebay but cannot see anything that I think is the right manual for my model? Can anyone advise me where I could purchase one from please? Thanks.

Hi Laurence,

Try www.velocepress.com they offer a reprint of a 1947 Floyd Clymer reprint of "The Book Of The Norton 1932 to 1939" I just picked up a copy and it seems to be fairly thorough, or else try Bruce Main-Smith, he offers photo copies of a very broad range of British machinery.

Welcome aboard!

Albert

Previously wrote:

Hi, having only just joined NOC and looking at taking ownership of my first ever classic motorbike next weekend, I'm eager to source a workshop manual for my bike. I've had a look on Ebay but cannot see anything that I think is the right manual for my model? Can anyone advise me where I could purchase one from please? Thanks.

Hello Laurence,

I have a maintenance manual/instruction book for a 16H 490cc SV Norton.It is an original manual by Norton with know tares or pages missing and very good condition.It should cover everything you need to know about the bike.Let me know if this covers your requirements,welcome to the fold.

Hi Denis,

Is this something you would consider selling to me or even sell me a photocopy? If so, I would be very interested please. Many thanks for the welcome note, I'm probably going to rely on you existing members a lot from here on in regarding sourcing parts etc, Many thanks.

Previously wrote:

Hello Laurence,

I have a maintenance manual/instruction book for a 16H 490cc SV Norton.It is an original manual by Norton with know tares or pages missing and very good condition.It should cover everything you need to know about the bike.Let me know if this covers your requirements,welcome to the fold.

Hello Albert,

Thanks for that, I'll check out these sites. I'm looking forward to becoming an ardent enthusiast of this subject!

Previously wrote:

Hi Laurence,

Try www.velocepress.com they offer a reprint of a 1947 Floyd Clymer reprint of "The Book Of The Norton 1932 to 1939" I just picked up a copy and it seems to be fairly thorough, or else try Bruce Main-Smith, he offers photo copies of a very broad range of British machinery.

Welcome aboard!

Albert

Laurence, You're quite fortunate in choosing the '36 16H as, with the exception of a few frame dimensions and possibly the saddle spring lugs, it is fundamentally the same as the WD models. There were more than enough of those made, together with the supporting documentation.

A 1936 machine would originally have had the third brush dynamo control but that is likely to have been changed by now to a later CVC set-up.

A good primer (and easily available second-hand) is Edgar Frank's 'Norton Motor Cycles' ("A Practical Guide covering all models from 1932") - Franks was responsible for the 1932 redesign and he knew his stuff. The book was first published, as far as I can tell, in 1948 and subsequently revised to include the twins but the later editions still seem to have all the singles info.

Pitman's 'The Book of the Norton' by W.C. Haycraft has some useful tips in but is a bit less serious in style. Again covering all models from 1932, it is an enjoyable read over a cup of tea.

There is a reprint of the mid-war WD manual on eBay at the moment and this will cover the engine details of yours quite well.

ebay 270746245274

Originals turn up there from time to time (they had a red cover, often faded to pink)

I don't have a '36 parts book but I can mail you scans of the 1937 edition. Don't rely too much though on the illustrations as they often didn't change with redesigns.

There is plenty of information about so just ask if you're stuck.

Rich.

Hi Laurence,

The manual is complete and has a red cover,I can sell it to you or photo copy it.

You can contact me on 07889341777.

Den bourne.

Does this red covered manual cover a 1936 ES2? If so does anyone have one they are willing to copy/scan?

Thanks

Aled

No, it doesn't cover the OHV engines as it is a wartime manual produced for the WD models and they were blessed with side-valves.

There is of course quite a lot in common below the cylinder.

Rob van den Brink has very kindly put scans on line so you can have a look and see if it's helpful.

http://www.wdnorton.nl/

Norton Owners Club Website by 2Toucans