Skip to main content
English French German Italian Spanish

Strange bit from 1959 Featherbed frame

Hi, does anyone recognise the attached plate? It is from a 1959 Featherbed frame Model 50. It is approximately 41/2” x 31/4” and the two studs are 21/2” apart, although they are not quite in line. I had got to the point when I thought that maybe when I had the bits powder coated they had added an extra bit for a laugh but then I checked the photos of bits I sent and it is there. The studs are the right distance to go underneath the battery box but it doesn’t fit there, again it could conceivably gonunder the oil tank but it doesn’t really fit there either. 

Thanks

Attachments

The battery box on later Featherbeds had a similar plate that sat in the bottom and supported the battery itself.. The plate studs went through the base of the battery box into the cross-plate that also supported the oil tank. 

In the attached photos you can see the slot holes (just about) for the plate in the bottom of the battery box. The edge of the plate can be seen in the other photo supporting the battery.

On my machine there wasn't a plate with studs welded on as picy here, but I have a recessed plate about the same size as this that supports the bottom of the battery BUT as it is bolted through to the plate that sits on the frame and supports the battery box AND the oil tank you don't want the bolts poking into the bottom of the battery, so the said plate has a slotted recess allowing ordinary bolts to be used. I think in this case having studs welded on the bottom allows the top of the plate being flat for the battery to sit on.

Point to note, if you have enough height in the battery box (depends on your battery) then sitting the battery on a piece of wood is beneficial. Wood absorbs the vibration and any spilt acid and is easily replaced.

Hi, thanks for the replies, that makes sense. There were so many holes in the bottom of my battery bow that I welded it up just leaving two holes for the bolts to go through to the plate that is attached to the (redundant) airbox and oil tank. I have got a piece of non absorbent foam to mount the battery on. 

Just to say tried the non absorbent foam on my T120R which had a drain pipe for overflow of acid. Didn't work and pipe came off battery with vibration as just push on ruining wiring harness, a paint area  and also some chrome on exhaust. Ever since on all my bikes including my 99 I have used sealed batteries with no issues. Also saves topping up of course. Cheers, Hugh 

Norton Owners Club Website by 2Toucans