Skip to main content
English French German Italian Spanish

RH 330 Manxman to Mercury

Forums

Hello all well I must say this Phil hannah has made a real good job of puting together some of the most difficult subject in Norton history ,But having said this there are still some very large gaps in this data , and after doing some calulation there only some 450 Norton Manxmans built in the early days,in two batchs, first batch of some 300 to 340, witch my manxman was among this first batch shop number 288 next batch later in the year of 1961 there was some 99 machine sent ,in all blue or black and silver tanks lots had black seats some had red seats And One sent in all blue and Chrome red seat to Kings of Oxford dated 31.8.61 Then Plumbstead sent some to the USA under the Name Manxman in 1965, but where more like the 650ss of the time,some of these had red tanks 3.1/2 gallon type ....And to my notes only 8 where built has police machnies 12 volt electrics one went to City of London police the rest to Garreau Paris.these were painted in all Black with Police leg shelds.....And only around some 40 or so 650cc Norton Standards and De-lux machnies sold in the UK most to Copes Motorcycles Birmingham , I have Information that there where a batch of 650 Std and De-lux models sent behind the iron curtain maybe countrys like Czechoslovakia .Romania. Hungary, along with batch of ES2 and Model 88/99 standard and De-lux models, now after the mid 1961 it all seems to have gone all mixed up with bikes going in all directions... But we do know that the machine that was surpost to be the First 650 recored in Roy Bacons Books Norton Restoration Twins number 100200 -18 was sold in Milan Italy it was built on the 17.10.1961 and we now know its was far from being number one, in fact there where some 758 built of the 650cc type motorcycles before this machine , So much of Roy Bacon books, now has too other sold in the uk number 100100-18ss in all blue was sent to Hooleys of Nottingham Now there was one sent to Hamburg , and others sent to Sweden around 8 in total two of these are owned by Mr Anders Larrson one race bike 650 and one Manxman 650 and still in perfect factory finsh, after 54 years of owner ship I have recored some 36 machines still with us to day all around the world, but the remotest Norton 650s are the one in the Phillines number 97927-18 shop number 397 and then the one in the Falkland Isles 95153-18 shop number 358 you see there some very big gaps in the engine numbers and the workshop numbers this what makes thing very confusing ,now has for the Norton Mercury we have not much to go with hear its all confusing , but to really sort all this out we need all the Factory data , witch we not got has yet,.....!!!! But to my mind the rarest Norton 650cc machines are the Standard and De-lux Models has we have very little data on these motorcycles and were they all ended up, But even this machine's would of been a very fine Norton Motorcycle to own, I must say I have Not seen a 650cc Norton Standard in dark Grey Metallic or and De-lux 650 Model In Dove Grey and Polychromatic light blue has in the 1962 catalogue

Now I end this bit with thanks to Phil Hannah and Mark Woodward Editor of the R.H well edited and special thanks all other members who helped out,

Yours Anna J Dixon

I suppose it might be ungallant to question if the missing engine numbers might have been destroyed by the factory testers ? The factory records are of course despatch ledgers.

Hi Richard......Most of the gaps can be explained. To begin with the Manxman bikes were built in batches. Generally about 48 per batch. These were then stored while arrangements were made to ship them and other models. The workforce then moved on to build other models on the same assembly lines such as 88, 99, ES2 etc. These bikes also used Featherbed frames and cycle parts so there was no real break in continuity. Even the engine/frame numbers continued from the previous batch with just a need to stamp a different model number.

Gaps occured due to quality testing or supply issues. Bikes would then be pulled off the assembly lines and stored for later completion. These particular machines would then be reinserted back into the assembly lines at later (sometimes much later) dates. Some would have their original frame numbers but others had new identities thus causing gaps in the sequencing.

The Mercury 650 numbering was just as chaotic with production and shipping dates sometimes years apart on sister bikes. See below.

K8063

Mercury

Joseph Carlo Borda. Malta

9-Jun-69

K8062

Mercury

9-Jun-69

K8063

Mercury

9-Jun-69