Skip to main content
English French German Italian Spanish

Research for a '63/63 Triton Project

Hello all, 

New member to the forum. I'm an avid British bike fan, having my fun with many bikes (on the Triumph side). I won't go down the rabbit hole there, but say that my first introduction to Norton comes in the form of a life-long dream bike build that good fortune has helped me out with ... an 1963 Atlas Slimline Featherbed frame (20-104344, 7/63/M on the triangle at the neck), matched up with a 63 Triumph Unit 650 (T120 DU 222). 

The project started with just the frame, found between a shed and a water container that was picked up for a hand shake and a coffee. The casing was next, though it needs some TLC, finding an original '63 casing helped propel this project forward toward a 63/63 Triton. 

Since the start of this, I've found an old Holder 750 big bore kit in amazing condition, original Amal monoblock's with the 1 1/16 inlet to match a '63 head unit and rockers. So, the engine side is moving along nicely so far. But I need help with the Norton side of the house ... which brings me here. 

I'm happy to have joined this amazing group and have spent hours today and numerous coffees going over the site and what you all have posted. So much great information, but I'm still left with questions that I hope you all can help me with. 

Starting with the front end, I was able to find numerous other parts, including the matching swing arm, rims, hubs, and front yokes... but this is where I'm hoping to gain some clarity. 

There are some "John Tickle" parts, or at least John Tickle styled parts that were included in the recent parcel that arrived. The front hub has two holes in the air scoop and a faint outline for an oval badge, leading me to believe that this may have had the badge rather than "John Tickle RE" cast into the scoop. That, or it is a repop hub plate that someone once had the plate drilled into it. 

There are no decals or rivet holes in the upper yoke, just "DE 81" but the 8 is upside down so it could also be "DE 18", no part number cast. It is definitely not as refined a casting as modern pieces available on the market ... and I am left believing this is a Dresda 7" top yoke. I mean, it gives me the look I'm hoping for, but then again, there are other options available. 

In short, to sum myself up, first off, when were John Tickle parts first made? I have found articles talking about '65, mid-60s, etc., but no set date. So, can anyone tell me when these parts would have first been available? 

Second, aside from the Dresda option, I'm hanging on to find out when the JT RE parts were started and then my search will go into what I want holding onto the short Roadholders. Does anyone have any ideas on a top yoke that has a nice, flat-top look from the early 60s? Google has a lot of ads, but few answers. 

That's about it for now. Thank you in advance for any help, and for the amazing forum you have here. I'll keep future comments shorter, just wanted to add a bit to an intro and the build for context. Cheers. 

All the best, Mark

When you get to the rewire, aoservices.co.uk.  for a wiring Kit. also advice on ignitions and battery charging.

In reply to by alan_osborn

Thank you very much for that. I'll definitely be looking up info there when I get to that part of the planning.  With regards to to the front fork crowns, any ideas whether JT parts were around in 63 yet? If not, what would have been?  Cheers, Mark

Earliest ref I can find to John Tickle making parts is mid 60's, but as a Triton would always be made from 2nd parts that would be applicable to 63 frame and engine being built into a Triton a few years later.

Thank you very much. It is a bit difficult these days to get some dates, but you make a very good point. Cheers! 

Norton Owners Club Website by 2Toucans