Skip to main content
English French German Italian Spanish

OUW525R 850 III

Forums

With respect to the current owner.

I am continually astounded at the barefaced audacity of some people who offer for sale machines that are not 'fit for purpose'.

I have recently seen the inside of this bike's engine and would like to invite the re-builder to offer himself up for summary retribution by the unfortunate current owner. On the other hand, maybe he should run far far away and NEVER touch another Commando engine !!

You know who you are...................

What was wrong with it that rendered it 'unfit for purpose?' Was it offered for sale by a private individual, or a dealer? It would be nice to know so that prospective Commando buyers know what to look out for.

This is becoming very common, beautifully restored bikes that are mechanical wrecks.The reason is simple.. ..cost. People set themselves up as classic bike restorers,and start doing just that.A topnotch painter and detailer will produce a beautiful looking bike, and thats what sells.I was recently shown a just restored bike that had an oil leak in the front of the crankcases.I could see from feet away that a metric bolt had been used in a UNC tapped alloy case.I know of another restorer who has 20 or so bikes left with him, he,s got bits farmed out with platers, reconditioners, engineers etc, cant pay to get them back,and his landlord has threatened to close him and sell everything.The owners will have a nice puzzle to solve.Regards John

Allan,

I do not know whether it was sold by a dealer or an individual. An item which is 'not fit for purpose' is one that cannot be used for the purpose that it is intended, ie a lamp that's dangerous to use or a freezer that doesn't freeze. It's more difficult to pin this definition down to motor vehicles because of all the variables, but an engine which breaks after a very short period , and is built with inferior parts could fall into this category.Whether the purchaser would have any recourse via the Trade Descriptions Act, would have to be decided in court.

Regards HT

A second hand item is a secondhand item, and excepting any legislated protection,any remedy would lie in a civil action. Costly and probably futile,unless you happen to be a retired lawyer.Some years ago there was a case involving a Manx Norton,which ended up with two appeals, and reversals of decision each time.Obviously a Manx collector has deep pockets,but the law will soon drain them dry.Regards John.

Norton Owners Club Website by 2Toucans