Skip to main content
English French German Italian Spanish

Oil tank breather 1956 Dominator

I have had to repair the two bottom oil tank holding inserts (threaded inserts) and before I paint the tank again following the welding, I think I should add a better breather system. It only has the small pipe out of the back of the tank. The engine has the breather on the drive side (blowing onto the rear chain?)

What would be the best way of doing this? I'd rather not have a separate bottle. Should I go the Commando way with a fitting on top of the tank?

Any advice please.

Later slimline oil tanks had a "Froth separator" tower on the top, don't know when they were introduced. Occasionally turn up at jumbles. Although the 2 tanks that I got were earlier plain ones, both had previous repairs with the top bracket welding back on from being too tightly bolted up, and so suffering from vibration fatigue. Shame, because both had reasonable chrome, but obviously messed up by the repair.

If there is room under the saddle  you could make up a tower in 22mm ( or bigger) copper plumbing tube and  cut a hole in the tank  ,solder in  with plumbers solder  and solder in 2 new connections  using 3/8 gas ( 10 mm?) copper to take the incomming  breather as low as poss and the outgoing breather ( to  chain) in a higher position.  I did this on my 99DL  which has a steel tower/filler as std. Cant say anything good comes out for the chain and short journeys will make condensation in the tank needing regular oil changes . 

....... could the existing tank breather be used as the incoming, and only the outlet coming from the new tower? But I think it will be impossible to fit the tank in position with such a tower which would be situated inside the frame tube.

Extending the filler tube might be a better way.

By the way, what is 99DL?

My 650SS has a breather in the top of the oil tank. I'm not certain when this mod came in for the slimlines  but my guess  is 1964 when several changes were made:

12 v electrics

5/8 x 3/8 rear chain

Grommet in the primary case to adjust clutch center nut without case removal. 

For my 99 and Dommie racer; I decided I'd had enough of oil dropping on the floor if any oil left in the sump on starting. The solution was simple, as seen in the pictures: A large clear plastic tube that raises to the rear of the bike. The excess oil never reaches the exit and eventually goes back to the sump.

.... a very simple solution Neil.

I think if a ducks bill kind of valve is fitted to the end, there would be some lowering of the crankcase pressure as well.

I'll certainly try it.

Thank you all.

Norton Owners Club Website by 2Toucans