Skip to main content
English French German Italian Spanish

Novice advice needed..1936 Magdyno Norton 50

Hi all.

Very novice so I need advice please! Recently took my 1936 Norton 50 to Cadwell VMCC & Mallory Bike Bonanza for parades, and the ammeter was working for the former but not the latter.

Firstly, when it was working, the needle was off the scale to the right when we knocked 65-70mph. Should it be?

Secondly, & more importantly, on close inspection yesterday, the holding bolt on the magdyno had come a bit loose. After consulting all my books I carefully took the dynamo off to find that the fibre gear-thingy had worn at the ends due to the movement of the dynamo to the left (as you sit on the bike looking down). Have blown the fibre dust away & fitted all back together & ammeter now works. But

a) should I replace the fibre gear? If so, with a new fibre one, or is there a better modern "part"?

b) if I ride her, will I strip the rest of the fibre gear teeth as it's only 1/2 engaged with the steel teeth

c) anyone know where I can find replacement parts?

d) can't find exploded views of what/how to dorepairs in the various manuals....is it fairly easy/self-explanatory so I just put things back in the order I take them off!

Sue

Have a look at the Brightspark Magnetos web page; They have a 'library' section with Lucas Magdyno workshop instructions.

I'm not aware that there has been any improvement on the celeron gear...it is designed to be a weak link and when combined with the slipping clutch will ensure that if anything locks-up, it won't cause more damage.

It ought to be replaced. Any of the magneto repairers should be able to supply.

Sue - in 1937 they changed the voltage regulator to a constant voltage type. Before that, charge control was cruder and the box was smaller. If you still have the original, you perhaps need to consider updating the internals with one of Al Osborne's (Al of this parish...) products. Itfits inside the slightly later CVC case but I don't know if it fits yours. It could go somewhere else (like in the top of the tool box possibly).

Excess current might 'boil' your battery. It's best not to do that.

Hi Sue,

If you need a mag servicing Tony Cooper will sort it, he`s in Halesowen Birmingham, 0121-5592405. He used to work at Lucas so knows his stuff.

cheers

Alan H.

Hi Sue,

If you need a mag servicing Tony Cooper will sort it, he`s in Halesowen Birmingham, 0121-5592405. He used to work at Lucas so knows his stuff.

cheers

Alan H.

Previously susan_harris wrote:

Thanks. We'll get a new fibre gear. Fairly mechanical-minded so will have a go at fitting it!!

Beware of buying a fiber gear wheel from India they might not fit and the clutch on the magneto will need adjusting when refitting or the dynamo could slip and not charge when you switch the lights on,and don`t cover the whole of the fiber gear and drive ring in grease or dynamo will again slip and not charge.Thanks Paul Wolf Magneto repairs

Norton Owners Club Website by 2Toucans