Skip to main content
English French German Italian Spanish

Norton Dominator 99 - 1957 - lifting handle

Forums

Can anyone identify this handle and tell me where it fits please.

It's part of the original bike and for the life of me I cannot see any obvious place for it. I have looked at numerous photographs of similar machines and am unable to find one with one fitted.

Attachments norton-grab-handle-reduced-jpg

Thanks for posting the picture of your beautiful machine.

I presume you are referring to the handle fixed to the rear of your mudguard with two bolts and extending under the seat. If that is what you are referring to, it's not, because I have two of those, one on each side.

The photograph I posted does not give any indication of size or proportion. The part is much smaller that the two handles I have , only about 8 inches in length.

The part I have went for stove enamelling with the frame all the other dismantled parts some years ago and I simply cannot remember where it was fitted.

Previously richard_evans wrote:

I presume you are referring to the handle fixed to the rear of your mudguard with two bolts and extending under the seat. If that is what you are referring to, it's not, because I have two of those, one on each side.

The photograph I posted does not give any indication of size or proportion. The part is much smaller that the two handles I have , only about 8 inches in length.

The part I have went for stove enamelling with the frame all the other dismantled parts some years ago and I simply cannot remember where it was fitted.

Richard , your mystery handle resembles one fitted as an aid to lifting the bike onto it's center stand, not a Norton but a BSA ,as I recall.

Previously jim_hill wrote:

Previously richard_evans wrote:

Richard , your mystery handle resembles one fitted as an aid to lifting the bike onto it's center stand, not a Norton but a BSA ,as I recall.

I think you're correct Jim - Same as on my 1960 A7. The Wideline Norton item was used to hold the rear mudguard and lift it on to the stand. It is three times the length of th item in the image.

That explains it. Maybe you are right and there's me keeping the thing carefully with the Norton bits all these years. Can't imagine where it came from.

Thanks for the enlightenment,.

Norton Owners Club Website by 2Toucans