Skip to main content
English French German Italian Spanish

Norton Dominator 650 ss

Forums

Hello can anybody say what is minimum length(strange) of clutch plate?

Thank you very much.

Tomas Tesar

Attachments clutch-jpg

Previously paul_standeven wrote:

Are you asking the minimum thickness of the friction plates?

Paul

Hi Paul Yes it is right word. Iam sorry for my english Iam from czech republic.

Tomas

hello Tomas - A new friction plate for a 650SS should have an overall thickness of 3.5mm. It is hard to say what could be the minimum thickness but in my experience they seem to work until the friction material is wafer thin. A completely worn off plate will be 2mm. As you know there should be 5 plain steel plates, 5 friction plates and the outer plate with friction material on one side only . This gives the content of the AMC Norton 11-plate clutch. The springs are stronger than Dominator, the spring studs are longer and the pressure plate is thinner. Good luck and regards, Howard

Hello Well On Clutch Springs To strong A spring you end up with little effective clutch movement and harder to operate So you have experimentwith sets of clutch springs to get the right balance in movement and easy operation and your clutch cable needs to be that one stage heavier cable and the right length for you handlebarsAs Not all 650s had the Vincent type handlebars, witch, I personally am not fond of, you need to be a comfortable position for long distance riding and have your machine ease of riding and Not for fashion, a standard machine like the 650 standards where nice motorcycles to ride with their five inch rise handlebars the days on head down and arse up are long Gone, our today's roads do not permitthis anymore with speed cams and the like all over the place, the Norton 650 Manxman export machine was the most practical and hansom Nortonever built, and a joy to ride and own , your anna J Dixon

Attachments 056-2-jpg

Previously howard_robinson wrote:

hello Tomas - A new friction plate for a 650SS should have an overall thickness of 3.5mm. It is hard to say what could be the minimum thickness but in my experience they seem to work until the friction material is wafer thin. A completely worn off plate will be 2mm. As you know there should be 5 plain steel plates, 5 friction plates and the outer plate with friction material on one side only . This gives the content of the AMC Norton 11-plate clutch. The springs are stronger than Dominator, the spring studs are longer and the pressure plate is thinner. Good luck and regards, Howard

Thanks for info I dismantle clutch and plates have 4,4-3,4mm i think that is ok. i remove grease and take back all components and clutch is much better.

Previously anna jeannette Dixon wrote:

Hello Well On Clutch Springs To strong A spring you end up with little effective clutch movement and harder to operate So you have experimentwith sets of clutch springs to get the right balance in movement and easy operation and your clutch cable needs to be that one stage heavier cable and the right length for you handlebarsAs Not all 650s had the Vincent type handlebars, witch, I personally am not fond of, you need to be a comfortable position for long distance riding and have your machine ease of riding and Not for fashion, a standard machine like the 650 standards where nice motorcycles to ride with their five inch rise handlebars the days on head down and arse up are long Gone, our today's roads do not permitthis anymore with speed cams and the like all over the place, the Norton 650 Manxman export machine was the most practical and hansom Nortonever built, and a joy to ride and own , your anna J Dixon

Hello thanks for your opinion. dear Anna. A have no problem with riding this bike I think that is easy ride 650domi than my commadno 850, but bike rides my wife too and clutch and starts are problem for her because she has 50kg and low height. I want make bike for her pleasant. i have low and larger handlebars.

Tomas Tesar

Attachments dscn2249-kopie-jpg

Previously tomas_tesar wrote:

Thanks for info I dismantle clutch and plates have 4,4-3,4mm i think that is ok. i remove grease and take back all components and clutch is much better.

Sorry Tomas - Can you confirm that you have 11 plates in your clutch ? Most Dominators 88 and 99 had only 9 plates. Kind regards, Howard

Previously tomas_tesar wrote:

Sorry Tomas - Can you confirm that you have 11 plates in your clutch ? Most Dominators 88 and 99 had only 9 plates. Kind regards, Howard

Hi Howard i confirm . in clutch there are 11plates ,i check springs and they are 42mm long new may be 43,5? i will buy new.

My Model 88 came to me with riser bars rather like the ones on Anna's Manxman. I found it hard work to hold on at motorway speeds, so fitted a flat bar. That felt a little low, so I went to a slight rise bar. At the time that felt much better, but now I'm about to go back to the flat one. You may be amused that these two bars were made in New Zealand by a company called - wait for it - Manxman. Sadly the maker's sticker has come off, but I am not pulling your leg. The company was set up by a man who wanted the right bend for his International and could not get one, so he made a bar for himself, and things got out of hand. Don't know if the firm is still around

Paul

Our Atlas is very much better with bar risers and flat bars. The cables have a much better line as do the levers.

Previously robert_tuck wrote:

Our Atlas is very much better with bar risers and flat bars. The cables have a much better line as do the levers.

Interesting Robert. Where did you found the bar risers? Because of the difficult routing of the cables I've mounted a slightly rised bar. Fritz

Attachments DSCN4532.JPG DSCN4540-2.JPG

My Model 88 came to me with riser bars rather like the ones on Anna's Manxman. I found it hard work to hold on at motorway speeds, so fitted a flat bar. That felt a little low, so I went to a slight rise bar. At the time that felt much better, but now I'm about to go back to the flat one. You may be amused that these two bars were made in New Zealand by a company called - wait for it - Manxman. Sadly the maker's sticker has come off, but I am not pulling your leg. The company was set up by a man who wanted the right bend for his International and could not get one, so he made a bar for himself, and things got out of hand. Don't know if the firm is still around

Paul

hello it depends on what you call motorway speeds AS I hit 110 mph with ease and had no wind effects and this was in the thunderstorm even over took a Suzuki GSX750 he experered under a motorway bridge wildest I had to slow up a bit to 85 mph so I could just see though my visor and My Norton Manxman 650 ignition is a Lucas K2FC and she never missed a beat in all that monsoon of 2008 as I got home our roof was like Niagara falls the car park at the country club were I live was 3 inch in water I got near drowned just pushing the bike in the workshop there was that much water bowning of the roof but the bike got dried off first and I went for a shower and change of clothing as my leathers and undergarment got more soaked just pushing bike into workshop then to 34 miles from Hull M62 and later heard on the radio humberside that a man had drowned saving his father but there were workmen there said they blame was on the fire brigade as they were ill equipped to deal with this type of rescue, yours anna j

Hi Fritz, The bar risers came from Demon Tweeks ,they were expensive and I had to find the Allen head bolts myself. Much cheaper alternatives on E-bay. The mounts are not a perfect fit to the top yoke either. But they are inconspicuos and work.

Hi Fritz, The bar risers came from Demon Tweeks ,they were expensive and I had to find the Allen head bolts myself. Much cheaper alternatives on E-bay. The mounts are not a perfect fit to the top yoke either. But they are inconspicuos and work.

Thank you Robert.

Fritz

Paul

hello it depends on what you call motorway speeds AS I hit 110 mph with ease and had no wind effects and this was in the thunderstorm even over took a Suzuki GSX750 he experered under a motorway bridge wildest I had to slow up a bit to 85 mph so I could just see though my visor and My Norton Manxman 650 ignition is a Lucas K2FC and she never missed a beat in all that monsoon of 2008 as I got home our roof was like Niagara falls the car park at the country club were I live was 3 inch in water I got near drowned just pushing the bike in the workshop there was that much water bowning of the roof but the bike got dried off first and I went for a shower and change of clothing as my leathers and undergarment got more soaked just pushing bike into workshop then to 34 miles from Hull M62 and later heard on the radio humberside that a man had drowned saving his father but there were workmen there said they blame was on the fire brigade as they were ill equipped to deal with this type of rescue, yours anna j

No chance you hit 110 mph with your manxman fitted with those ape hanger style handle bars. No way on earth!

Previously peter_shand wrote:

Paul

No chance you hit 110 mph with your manxman fitted with those ape hanger style handle bars. No way on earth!

hello there not ape hangers has Ape hangers are over 12 inch , and your only assuming this were you around when this happened and how do you know my bike will not 110 mph these machines were tested to 119 mph in cycle magazine in 1962, and in 2008 is before I rebuilt her and then my Manxman had flat bars has I bought it, in 2006, but I did think someone would jump to conclusions , yours anna j

Previously peter_shand wrote:

Paul

Peter - Don't get too drawn in. Ms Dixon omitted to mention that the bike had some aerodynamic modifications for her record run, downhill in Yorkshire on a very windy day. The image is evidence that it is in fact true.

Attachments recordrun-jpg

I think AJD might be right about her speed. Back in the sixties I did a flatout run with a 99. Not relying on the Chronometric, I clocked it for a 30 miles run at 110+. But it was lightened some 50 pounds, tuned and with open exhausts and clipons. That was before we had speed limits.

As shown above, so much is about air resistance. That's why we all went for clip-ons and rearsets in our young and foolhardy days.

Don't trust road test results. Bikes handed over to the journalists were not quite the same as those off the production line. A case in point is the Royal Enfield Continental GT which performed amazing high speed feats on road test. It later emerged that it had a factory fitted titanium con rod to cope. The general public soon discovered that the normal alloy one wasn't up to the same abuse.

An American magazine took a 1957 wideline 99 and with some windcheating antics recorded a timed 114 mph on the flat . In the slipstream of a pals 3.8 Jaguar I got upto an indicated 110 on a std 88. He said he was doing 125 !!. but could not get away from the 88. I borrowed a late 88SS that ran out of puff at 85, a lot depends on how they are put together and set up.

An American magazine took a 1957 wideline 99 and with some windcheating antics recorded a timed 114 mph on the flat . In the slipstream of a pals 3.8 Jaguar I got upto an indicated 110 on a std 88. He said he was doing 125 !!. but could not get away from the 88. I borrowed a late 88SS that ran out of puff at 85, a lot depends on how they are put together and set up.

Hello robert I did not mention in 2008 my bike had flat bars on back then and I just fitted a 22 engine sprocket to try out and it was on the m62 from the top of the flyover of the river Ouse fast lane going flat out,gong slightly down hill to the slip off for Howden the crono was flickering to 116 but you knock some of this off to around 110 or 108 or there abouts, who knows but i over too 3 BMWs on route, but the 8 inch rises bars i have no now are not that bad you do not feel the wind like you would think, not like the Honda 550 four I had , it was a hang on job, above 70 mph maybe its the Norton 7 inch head lamp that breaks up the wind before it gets to you I did try a streamlined wind screen but that was worse I soon took that off yours anna j

Previously Tomas Tesar wrote:

Hello can anybody say what is minimum length(strange) of clutch plate?

Thank you very much.

Tomas Tesar

I will try to use bowden with teflon inside and stainless cable

hello try RGM Motors for lighter Clutch springs witch makes for easier on your hands to operate the clutch leaver here's hoping you get it sorted and out riding yours anna j

Norton Owners Club Website by 2Toucans