Skip to main content
English French German Italian Spanish

Norton at 2017 TT

I've just got back from watching the RST Superbike TT on the island and it was good to see the two Norton race bikes coming 7th and 8th ridden by David Johnson and Josh Brookes. They certainly sound different! Keep it coming ... .

Impressive stuff, although they would have moved down a couple of places if McGuiness and Dunlop had competed/finished. However, you have to finish to score points, and their reliability was waaay better than Honda!

Where did you decide to view from Mark?

Ian

Hi Ian, yes, their reliability was probably the most impressive feature. Having watched it on TV last night it appears that the Norton's are a little down on power compared to the Beemers (but what bikes aren't?). It will be interesting to see how the future Norton SG bikes pan out when they are fitted with the Norton V4 motor rather than the Aprilia engine (2018 perhaps?).

We had to fly in at 09:00 and, due to the fact that there was no racing until 14:00 we opted to 'hang out' around the grandstand (plenty going on). We thought about getting grandstand passes for the afternoon but when we were informed they are £60 each our response was "HOW MUCH!" and we wandered off down Bray Hill and viewed from the filling station half way down - not a bad spot but it's very much a 'blink and you miss it' section. Had there been more racing during our day, I think we'd have opted to go further out of Douglas - still a great day out though!

Sounds good Mark. There is plenty of atmosphere around the paddock.

I hadn't realised they were still using the Aprilia motor. It is odd because the Aprilia has been very competitive in WSBK, more so than the BM, but hardly anyone uses it in BSB for some reason.

Norton Owners Club Website by 2Toucans