Skip to main content
English French German Italian Spanish

Long Live the Norton Commando 961!

I'm from the states and never owned a British bike before but last week plunked down a substantial sum of money as a Reservation Fee for a black, 961 Commando Sport and I just can't begin to describe how excited I am to finally have the thing on order. I've got a picture of "my" bike as the wallpaper on my computer screen so I can look at it often. I'm 64 and have been riding bikes for 50 years. I decided to start this new thread because I want, very much, to see Norton succeed with the 961 and while I think it's important to share honest information about any problems that develop with any marque, the internet has proven to be a dangerously unreliable source of information and some scoundrels are only too happy to disparage and defame with their anonymity shield fully in place. As a result, it's tough to find honest, reliable information on the internet.

Because of this, I feel an overriding desire to promote and encourage New Norton ownership to fill the coffers of the Norton company and get as many of the beautiful twins as possible out on public roads and in the public eye. Whatever problems may surface can be fixed -- especially in these modern times and with all due respect to the Faithful who own the older Nortons, that's great that you're fettling and caring for the dear old girls -- theiy're beautiful and chock full of history but let's be honest: the new ones are gorgeous, too and wouldn't it be great if Norton prospered with these bikes, keeping the Norton Legend and Legacy alive?

Many years ago, a fellow was stuffing American-made V8 engines in a small, British two-seater. The Illuminati proclaimed it absurd, a farce, an unbalanced, overpowered cretin of a car that would not succeed. Anybody do a comparison on what a Cobra sold for new and what they sell for now? (The real ones.) Although at my age, I'm not likely to find out what a current model 961 Commando will sell for in 2050, for the younger ones among you, I predict that they'll be in great demand and revered and cherished. I think that 90% of those who buy the 961 already have other bikes and thus relish the idea of owning a hand-built, beautiful vertical twin with 270 degree crank, Ohlins suspension, Brembo brakes and an enviable heritage. I know that's how I feel -- I mean, really, how often do these kinds of opportunities come along? Carpe diem! Put your money down! Buy a new 961 and be patient. Good things come to those who wait!

End of rant (for now) and best possible regards to my brother and sister Norton aficionados!

Good call Jim, I totally agree with you. Who knows what the future will bring but on reflection I wish I had bought a Cobra all those years ago instead of a Triumph Spitfire.

I am looking forward to retirement and I have promised myself a new 961.

Safe riding, ATB, Paul.

Excellenttreatise Jim. Just to enforce your comments , took delivery of a yellow 961 Sport from Norton a couple of months ago (after a 22 month wait from placing order and paying) and it's been everything anticipated - powerful , huge amount of fun to ride , easy to maintain and (so far) completely reliable. The happy novelty of justinserting the key and pressing the starter on a Norton withoutthe time honoured tradition of fuel on , carb tickling , right leg exercise ,etc , hasn't worn off yet.

I'm also one of your enthusiasts with other classic Britbikes - two 850 Commandos , BSA Rocket Gold Star and a modern Triumph Thruxton 900 - and the new 961lines up proudly alongside.

Great choice Jim, I too have a 961 Sport in black which I have hadsince June 2011 andI can promise you they look even better in the flesh than on a desktop wallpaper. I think everyone knows Norton have had some issues along the way but I have found the after sales support from the factory has been excellent although I very much doubt you will be taking your bike back to Donnington for a service :)

I am sure you will enjoy it when you get it but be prepared for everyone wanting to talk to you about it wherever you go, even people who know nothing about bikes will admire it.

And yes I am also one your enthusiasts with a few other bikes in my collection.

Best

Colin

Good to hear -- all of it. I will now resume my patient (!!) waiting. Hope it's not 22 months but if it is, well, that's just the way it is. I'll try to rationalize the wait as an opportunity for my bike to be more sorted by the time it reaches me! I read that there's no workshop manual but does it come with an owner's manual?

Previously wrote:

Good to hear -- all of it. I will now resume my patient (!!) waiting. Hope it's not 22 months but if it is, well, that's just the way it is. I'll try to rationalize the wait as an opportunity for my bike to be more sorted by the time it reaches me! I read that there's no workshop manual but does it come with an owner's manual?

With the new machine you get a black leather zip folder containingowner's handbook, keys and any other relevant paperwork. The handbook is well laid out and written with allrequired maintenance tasksand tech info.

Delivery rate fromNorton has speeded up in the past few months so I'd suggest you probably won't have to wait as long as I did.

Hello Jim, I can assure you the wait will be worth it, I love my Nelly, she is a 961 silver cafe racer, The lads at work always want to know when I go to on the bike have I come on the Ducati or on Nelly, if its Nelly they are all out swooning over that beautiful wasted tank, I am having serious worries about some of them, hope you get yours asap and would love to see your face when they pull the covers off, you will enjoy the quality of finish. Happy Miles.

I know it's a bit obsessive but this positive feedback about the 961 is really helpful. It buoys my patience ("worth the wait") and heightens my expectations ("swooning over that beautiful waisted tank") and thanks, James Fanning for the info about the owner's manual, pouch, etc. if it's built like it looks in the photos and videos, I may be doing some swooning myself. ð Oh, and James, I sympathize with your welcoming the thumb starter. My first big bike was a Harley Sportster, 1970 XLCH which only had a kick starter. Might as well have filled both cylinders with treacle. Worst bike I ever owned but once you got it started and heard 883cc bellowing through the unbalanced staggered dual exhausts, you could almost forget the agony of getting it started -- sort of like child birth I imagine. (...uh oh, never mind that last comparison).

Well Jim

Ive had my 961 sport two and a half years and its still going strong (although its all wrapped up for the winter at the mo) It doesn't get used daily as I've a couple of new Triumphs for that, but when she's brought out there's always a crowd around it, and some people think it's in really good condition for an "old" Norton and ask what year it was made!

Hi Jim, I have had my 961 Sport for 2 years and 5,000 miles and it gets betterwith more miles. I had a couple of small problems at first but they weresoon sorted by the guys at Donnington. I believe that these updates are nowpart of the standard build so youshould not have any problem. As John L said it always gathers a crowd whereverI stop and I have a number of other bikes classic and modern but nothing gets as much interest! It is also quite comfortable and I have done over 400 miles in a day with no problem. I have also done a trackday at Silverstone where it was superb and really corners well, it kept up well in the intermeadiate group and Ipassed quite a few Super Sports bikes. I normally only keep my modern bikes for around 2 years before I replace them but I have no intention of selling the 961. So I'm sure you will enjoy owning yours and it will be well worth the wait.

Also great to hear, John Mc. I'm really getting my expectations for the bike built up tremendously. All,of this positive feedback about build quality, in-the-flesh beauty, ride-ability (is that a word?), and satisfaction, in spite of the, wait is encouraging. And to the Norton Mfg folks who may be reading these posts, I say, "Don't rush it. I'd much rather wait for the kind of bikes you're delivering at present than to receive a lesser machine produced in haste in a futile effort to hurry quality."

Norton Owners Club Website by 2Toucans