Skip to main content
English French German Italian Spanish

Identification Dolls Head gearbox 1939

Forums

Good evening

I bought an es2 of 1939 with matching engine and frame number.

But how i know if it's the right gear box.

Has an es2 the same gears as for example a 16 H or 18?

It's a four speed box with numbers N8001.

There is also also SN 19100

nl 1- 1.21 - 1,77-2,97.

Regards

Dirk

Those are the standard post-1935 gearbox ratios, on all bikes except Internationals. Overall gearing (from say 16H to ES2) would usually be changed by the engine sprocket.Bacon's 'Norton Singles' lists for 1932-37: engine ES2 21, and 16H 20 teeth. For 1938-39, both had one less.Google Translator is brilliant...

Chris Streather as Machine Records Officer for the Singles should be able to tell you what the box was fitted to originally. The number would put it in the early part of 1938.

The shells are generally interchangeable and internals may not be original. My WD16H has a gearbox from a 1936 Model 50 and although I'd quite like a drain plug, I don't lose sleep about it !

I'd recommend sticking with a standard 19t gearbox sprocket and before deciding on engine sprocket, check whether you have a 42t or ex-WD 43t rear drum / chainwheel.

Hi Richard

Was the drain plug a later addition? The box on my '34 Inter has one. It's a pucka inter box with the correct ratios but I've never looked into what year it is. I'm not that fussed, just interested!

Andy

Good evening

Its indeed 42 rear wheel,

19 gear box and 20 on engine.

I just drove 2 rounds around the block when i bought it because it stood stil since 1998. So i drove very carefully.

think it's in original shape and hope its ok for the rest. Till now i drove french bike(350 side valve terrot) Very curious how this one is going to do it....

Regards

Dirk

Andy...I don't know. It doesn't seem to be documented anywhere but I bought a Doll's Head from those nice people at the club spares scheme...and it was only afterwards that I realised there was no drain plug.

It is box no SN 6757 and it doesn't have the raised internal boss that later boxes have for the drain plug. I found it listed somewhere in the middle of 1936 as a Model 50...I have no reason to suppose that they were different....maybe Inters always had them. I'm something of a whippersnapper having to teach myself what the old boys forgot to tell me...any inaccuracies of interpretation are entirely my own !

[IMG]http://i248.photobucket.com/albums/gg164/commando16h/NOC/Gearbox%20rear_zpskvxn2qtr.jpg[/IMG]

From the information that Rob gives us on his WD Norton website it says that early and civilian machines didn't have a gearbox drain plug and it was introduced for contract C10217, which would make it about 1941. All post war upright gearboxes have them and although these aren't dollshead gearboxes, I'm sure the casing is the same and interchangable with a dollshead. I hope so as I've got a dollshead box to make out of a 1946 gearbox.

My WD 16H gearbox is SN81054 and casting number N8001. This box does have a drain plug and I see it's the same casing number as yours Rik. Do you know from the number anything about this gearbox?

http://www.wdnorton.nl/Military_detail_variations_16H.htm

The Inter being a race bike is probably the exception to the rule.

I suppose if you filled them with grease (as was the recommendation back in the day) a drain plug wouldn't have been much use. My 1935 Mod 50 doesn't have a plug which is a bit of a nuisance now I use 50w oil in the box.

My box also has the N8001 on it, implication its the same casting. It then has IN12587 and the ratios 1 - 1.1 - 1.33 - 2.33. The factory records I have for the bike show it left the factory with gearbox no. 11425... Not too far away from the one that is fitted in it.

I've just had a look in my 33/34 amd 36 parts books and there is no mention of a drain plug and the gearbox shell in listed as being for all models.

These old bikes certainly keep you on your toes!!

Dirk: I suspect you will notice a big defference between a 350 side valve and an ES2, I have a post war ES2 and from what I have seen when following a friend on a 30's one the earlier ones go as well if not better!

Andy

Previously michael_sullivan wrote:

Richard:

Can you post more photos of your lady friend?

Michael, I was only in love with her for a month, some years ago. Can't even remember her name now !

Norton Owners Club Website by 2Toucans