Skip to main content
English French German Italian Spanish

Front wheel 'sticking' on a 1976 Mk III Commando

Forums

I'm new to all this so please excuse any daft newbie questions.

I have a 1976 Mk III 850 Commando which just failed its MOT because the guy said the front wheel wasn't spinning freely.

He's right - it doesn't move round with just the pressure from a single finger and it makes a sound as if it's rubbing against something.

It could be a build up of salt perhaps - I live in Scotland where they salt the roads at the slightest hint of cold weather. Or it could be something to do with the front brake.

Before I look into it I wondered whether anyone had had a similar experience and what the remedy is. Failing that is there someone you might recommend in the Glasgow area who could take a look at it and fix it?

I'm keen to get the bike MOT'd and get back out on the road so any help or advice is gratefully appreciated.

Many thanks,

Dominic

I would strip and clean the brake caliper. Being not that far from you, I can vouch for the vast quantities of salt dumped on our roads - so often needlessly. The brake caliper will always need a clean before the MoT. Trust me on that! My bike is manky - I have been using it this week, salt notwithstanding. Gordon.

Previously wrote:

I would strip and clean the brake caliper. Being not that far from you, I can vouch for the vast quantities of salt dumped on our roads - so often needlessly. The brake caliper will always need a clean before the MoT. Trust me on that! My bike is manky - I have been using it this week, salt notwithstanding. Gordon.

Many thanks Gordon. I will take a look at that and see if I can sort it. Kind regards, Dominic

Make sure that the disc is clear of the fork leg. There is not normaly much clearance there. My disc is within about 0.015" of the slider. (But the wheel is in the centre of the forks)

The clearance comes from the seals springing back , and if the pistons are dirty or stiff its not enough. I would take the pads out and carefully ,using the brake lever get the pistons to extend out a little more, then clean them with a strip of cloth moistened with meths or brake fluid.If that does not work they will need a strip down and new seals.

Have experienced the same a number of times when bike is left unused for very long periods , especially over winter months. You've almost certainly got a seized brake caliper piston. Strip the caliper , check and clean the bores very carefully , clean pistons and if any of the plating has flaked off replacethem , fit new seals. The handlebar master cylinder should also ideally be stripped , cleaned and fitted with all new internal parts. Brake service kits easily available from Norton spares stockists.

If you have troubleunscrewing theround caliper access plug which needs a hefty peg spanner - they can be seized tight - cookthe whole caliper in a very hotoven forat least ten minutes , let it cool , then you shouldfind the plug will unscrew - thealloy caliper metal and steel plug expandby different amounts breaking the seizure.

When I was having problems putting the piston back into the caliper, I hit on the idea of using my drill stand. I mounted the caliper carefully in the vice and opened the chuck fully (or you could put a valve in the chuck) and gently pressed the piston with the chuck into the caliper first time, no hassle. Don't try this with the drill switched on! This technique also work for Yamahas I discovered.

Previously wrote:

Make sure that the disc is clear of the fork leg. There is not normaly much clearance there. My disc is within about 0.015" of the slider. (But the wheel is in the centre of the forks)

Thank you David. I will look at that as well. I think it's actually to do with the brake caliper having now got it off the disc and had a look at it. Kind regards, Dominic

Previously wrote:

The clearance comes from the seals springing back , and if the pistons are dirty or stiff its not enough. I would take the pads out and carefully ,using the brake lever get the pistons to extend out a little more, then clean them with a strip of cloth moistened with meths or brake fluid.If that does not work they will need a strip down and new seals.

Thanks Robert. I think that what you describe is probably closer to the cause of my problem so will examine it carefully and apply the remedy you suggest. Kind regards, Dominic

I had the same sort of problem with my Commando back in the day (1977). I managed to get the slave caliper apart, only to find that the pistons were rusty, causing them to stick. I cleaned everything carefully, and ordered a pair of stainless steel pistons. That and new seals cured the problem permanently. The Old Britts site in America mentioned earlier in this discussion is a very expensive site to buy spares from. I noticed that the pistons from Old Britts are $29.50 U.S. each and are from Andy Molnar. On Molnar's web site they are 13 quid each, so I know where I'd buy them!

I noticed that the pistons from Old Britts are $29.50 U.S. each and are from Andy Molnar. On Molnar's web site they are 13 quid each, so I know where I'd buy them!

Me too, I wasn't suggesting he buy from there just use the tutorial.

Norton Owners Club Website by 2Toucans