Skip to main content
English French German Italian Spanish

Difficult 3rd. gear - 1954 Laydown box

Forums

Dear All,

My 1954 ES2 gearbox seems to have developed a fault which I cannot seem to trace. The box is the Norton laydown one and as far as I can tell is the bike original one.

The problem is that when I come to shift from second to third this latter gear will not select, but if I twiddle the gear lever a little then it does. I've changed both springs in the selector mechanism but the problem is still there.

Would appreciste any help or advice as to how I could solve this annoying problem.

Many thanks,

Albert

Hello Albert,

This sounds like the problem that I had with the Laydown box on my Dommie.I suspect that if you apply slight up pressure to the gear before selecting third, then the gear change will be normal.

I fitted new springs and even swapped the entire selector mechanism (but using the newly boughtsprings)yet the problem still persisted. I finally tracedthe problemto the smaller pawl hair spring. Even though new I found it needsreshaping by bending a slight inward kink in the arms to make them a more pincer shape. This ensures that the pawls fully click into position after the previous changeand completely cured the problem that I had.

The reshaping of the mainpawl carrier spring on the AMC box seems well documented but I had not found previous reference to the selector mechanism for the Laydown box. Hope this works for you.

Pete

Norton Owners Club Website by 2Toucans